Android controlling a Arduino via bluetooth?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Shayne82609

Re: Android controlling a Arduino via bluetooth?

Post by Shayne82609 »

The hardware pots, and switches are only half the equation on the transmitter end.

I also need a UI that can be easily manipulated and/or reprogrammed. Channel mixing, channel centering, end point settings, total movement (call dual-rate or expo), channel type (analog sweep, 2 position, 3 position, multistep positioning, etc.. will need to be changable via the UI.

I see Roving Networks sells that RN-41 as a class 2 and a class 1, really not sure what the difference is. As I've said above, I'm a bit of a noob to most of this stuff.

The whole point of a chip like that is the boosted range correct?
Don't I need one on both ends of a bluetooth connection in order to get the range as advertised?
Would there be any benefit to using a WIFI connection instead of BT?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

WiFi will give you much better range than Bluetooth. The ZB Series of XBee modules is rated for about 400 feet: http://www.adafruit.com/products/968#Te ... %20Details

wethaguy

Post by wethaguy »

Shayne82609 wrote:..I also need a UI that can be easily manipulated and/or reprogrammed. Channel mixing, channel centering, end point settings, total movement (call dual-rate or expo), channel type (analog sweep, 2 position, 3 position, multistep positioning, etc.. will need to be changable via the UI...
With that list of requirements, the comms is not your first concern. You'll need to learn to code or find someone willing to code. You can check out the ArduRover project at DIY Drones for ideas. But, it doesn't look like it will come close to meeting your needs and will need to be heavily modded.

A little advice might help you here. Start out your large project with a series of smaller projects building on previous steps toward your ultimate goal. Maybe start with basic LRFB remote control of a vehicle using your phone and an arduino. Then, add controlling the winch. Then, change the steering to PWM. Add feedback from the RC to the user interface. Add wheel encoder tracking for highly accurate speed control. etc... Right now as a newbie, starting out trying to build what you have described will likely end in lots of frustration with no project completed.

Shayne82609

Post by Shayne82609 »

Is there any advantages/disadvantages with WIFI vs. Bluetooth?

adafruit_support_mike do you have a Arduino board you would recommend for that XB module? I see 2 or 3 right off that look like they would work, but would like one with the best range of options.

WethaGuy I appreciate the advice. I know this is a large project in the big scope, but I'm hoping to get the right hardware so I can break it down into smaller sections like you advised. I know theres some basic plug and play open source codes out there that I can get something going easily and simply. I hoping that will let me start to understand the interactions between the And. dev and a Ard dev. Once I have a basic understanding of what I'm needing then I will have a better understanding of what I need the Android app to do with IOIO inputs.

I do sincerely appreciate all input on this project.

adafruit_support_mike

Shayne82609 wrote:adafruit_support_mike do you have a Arduino board you would recommend for that XB module? I see 2 or 3 right off that look like they would work, but would like one with the best range of options.
Start with the UNO: http://www.adafruit.com/products/50 It's the standard model, and has more than enough capacity to work with an XBee. If you want to be fancy, there's the Arduino Wireless Shield ( http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoWirelessShield ) which handles all the connections for you.

As I said last time, Wifi will give you significantly better range than Bluetooth. On top of that, the Wireless Shield turns the XBee into a transparent replacement for the wires in a Serial connection (pins 0 and 1).

Shayne82609

Post by Shayne82609 »

I have one of the UNO boards on the way.

That wireless shield looks like its for "wireless communication" not "wifi communication" (ie 802.11x). Which would require 2 modules on the same comm system. Am I missing something?

adafruit_support_mike

The Wireless Shield is an adapter between an Arduino and an XBee module (which uses 802.115.4 protocol). Yes, 802.15.4 is distinct from 802.11.. it uses a lower data rate and consumes less power.

This whitepaper has a description of 802.15.4 and a comparison with other protocols like 802.11 and Bluetooth: http://www.digi.com/pdf/wp_zigbee.pdf

al b

Post by al b »

I agree with adafruit_support_mike. We installed an Android device onto a RC car and used an IOIO board to control it autonomously and it was very easy to implement. Here is the preliminary result:

http://youtu.be/vkvkfcqEUkk

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”