I'm stuck

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
talymo

I'm stuck

Post by talymo »

Ok, so I have my Piano Glove - Flora project all wired up and hooked up, software uploaded and nothing happens.

I am getting the color sensor working and the neo pixel is indicating the correct color when I hover my finger over colors, but no sound comes out.

I can hear static in the speakers whenever I run my finger over the board, so I think the speakers are working fine.

I did have trouble wiring the codec to the breadboard, so I think that is where I might have messed up. The directions weren't very clear in the tutorial and it left a lot up to interpretation for a beginner like myself.

Can someone help me? This is my first project, so I might be a little confused.

Franklin97355

Re: I'm stuck

Post by Franklin97355 »

Can someone help me? This is my first project, so I might be a little confused
first off post your code exactly as you upload it (between

Code: Select all

tags to maintain formatting) Pictures of your connections in clear, large photos also help and any problems would need to include what went wrong and any errors the software gave you that shows the error. Then we can start to help.

talymo

Post by talymo »

20130814_205852_resized.jpg
20130814_205852_resized.jpg (325.12 KiB) Viewed 948 times
20130814_205813_resized.jpg
20130814_205813_resized.jpg (290.52 KiB) Viewed 948 times

I downloaded the code directly from the Adafruit project page, so the code is untouched from what Adafruit wrote in it.

There are no errors when I verify the sketch, so I'm not sure what is going on. Before I soldered anything on the bread board I loosely hooked everything up and it still didn't work. I'm thinking maybe it is an issue with the codec...

Let me know what you guys think and if you can help.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Can you show us the connections to the Flora too? Where do all those black wires go?

talymo

Post by talymo »

I think I've figured out the problem. The board is wired up correctly, though it is done very amateurish, however, in the tutorial, the part that shows you how to hook the codec up to the breadboard shows two different pictures that have the boards hooked up differently.

See in my screenshot...
Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 11.52.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 11.52.11 AM.png (574.99 KiB) Viewed 907 times

So, I think because I followed the first diagram and hooked it up as that picture shows, I am now having to deal with the pins being in the wrong place.

I can't just take this out and resolder it because I've already made all my connections, so I am going through the code right now and seeing what pins are called in the VS1053 h file.

talymo

Post by talymo »

Alright, I am at a complete loss as to why this isn't working. I can't find anything in the code, I've checked the wiring over and over. Only thing I can think of is it is not working because of the backwards board situation.

I really wanted to make this for a friend. He is a piano major and he would have loved this. Now I am over 200$ lighter and no final product to give him. :(

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate any help you can offer.
I would clean up your solder connections and make sure you have the wires connected correctly and no shorts or opens. Where are the wires going from the board (picture?) Use this to check your connections http://learn.adafruit.com/assets/10083

talymo

Post by talymo »

Yeah, I cleaned up everything, rewired the board and have a spot on specimen right in front of me right now and still I get nothing.

I don't know what else to do.

talymo

Post by talymo »

Is this the only way to get ahold of support?

adafruit_support_bill

Please post a photo that clearly shows all your connections.

talymo

Post by talymo »

Ok, I am going to do the best I can to upload clear photos, but there is a file size limit on here of 1mb, so I don't know how well I am going to be able to achieve that.
20130816_103113.jpg
20130816_103113.jpg (220.26 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Last night I took apart the board and resoldered it in the correct position, but from all the soldering and resoldering because of the confusing images, the board looks like it's been hit by a train. Funny thing is, I still get audio from the speaker in the form of static with distinct clicks whenever I hold the device in my hand and hover it over color.
20130816_104332.jpg
20130816_104332.jpg (340.39 KiB) Viewed 818 times
20130816_104407.jpg
20130816_104407.jpg (295.71 KiB) Viewed 818 times

As you can see, the board is definitely showing signs of being resoldered three times. The first time, I soldered it onto the board using the first photo in the tutorial, which was backwards. I desoldered it, then resoldered it on the board, but at this point, I wasn't aware that the photo was wrong, so I resoldered it into the same position using the first image, because I was certain I must have messed something up.

Once I realized that the photos were inconsistent, I desoldered it and then resoldered it into the position shown on the second image in the above screenshot.

In between these solderings, I would always hook everything up without soldering it first and then test it. I never got anything other than static and clicks. Even when I did it the first time with a fresh board and codec.

Perhaps it was because the whole breadboard was backwards, I don't know... I'm trying to learn all this stuff and was feeling pretty confident about the whole thing until I got to the codec part of the tutorial.

My neopixel and color sensor are working together very nicely. When I hover over a color, the neo-pixel changes to that color and sometimes I can even hear clicking in the speakers where there should be the musical tones playing.

I'm at the point now where I am thinking I need to order a new codec and breadboard pack and start this over from that point and go forward. My problem is, I don't want to spend another 50$ on this project if the tutorials are just going to leave me in the same spot as I am in right now. Including what I have spent at Radio Shack purchasing supplies for this project, I have spent over $200 on this. I don't want to dump $250 in a project that isn't going to work in the end.

adafruit_support_bill

We need to see the connections between the codec board and the Flora. We can't see that from your photos.

talymo

Post by talymo »

How would you like me to do that because I couldn't see the connections from the codec to the flora in the images in the tutorial. They are connected under the board.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'm at the point now where I am thinking I need to order a new codec and breadboard pack and start this over from that point and go forward. My problem is, I don't want to spend another 50$ on this project if the tutorials are just going to leave me in the same spot as I am in right now. Including what I have spent at Radio Shack purchasing supplies for this project, I have spent over $200 on this. I don't want to dump $250 in a project that isn't going to work in the end.
I understand your frustration, if you decide to get new parts or unsolder the codec add pins to the holes and get a real breadboard. Then you can plug and unplug the codec and it's connections to rewire any configuration you want. Once you get it all working you can then solder it into a permanent board. if you could draw a picture of your connections or download Fritzing http://fritzing.org/ and create a diagram.

talymo

Post by talymo »

Now my soldering iron isn't working. It's not hot enough to melt the solder even though it is turned up to the highest temp. I give up...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”