adding a larger mAH battery to my RC helicopter

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mhancockjr

adding a larger mAH battery to my RC helicopter

Post by mhancockjr »

I am trying to increase my flying time of my RC helicopter by removing the 3.7 volt 1000mAH rechargeable battery, and replacing it with a 3.7 volt 2600 mAH battery.
It will not run the device. It acts like it's not getting a charge. The existing charger starts out showing a red LED, as if it is charging, but within a minute, it shows a green LED, as if it's fully charged, but isn't.
Could the charger be designed only for the 1000 mAH battery. what can I do to charge the 2600 mAH battery?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: adding a larger mAH battery to my RC helicopter

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What battery chemistries are you using? There are several different kinds of rechargeable batteries these days, and each kind has to be charged in its own special way. NiCad chargers don't work for NiMH or LiPo batteries, NiMH chargers don't work for NiCad or LiPo, LiPo chargers don't work for NiCad or NiMH.

mhancockjr

Post by mhancockjr »

The original battery that was being charged from the charger was a LiPoly type, and the new larger battery is a LI Ion type. Will the same charger work on both types?

mhancockjr

Post by mhancockjr »

Just to confirm the battery types I looked up my adafruit order: the new battery is a lithium Ion polymer battery. 2600 mAH, 3.7 volts. the charger was originally charging a 1000 mAH 3.7 volt Li poly battery. Is this the same thing? the charger has an output of 3.7 volts 650 mAH. It also shuts down the charging process when the original 1000 mAH was fully charged. It wont do any charging to the 2600 mAH. The LED turns to green after one minute, thus indicating a full charge, yet there is only enough power to light up the helicopters' LED's , but will only for a microsecond, turn the blades before the chopper shuts down, as would happen when the normal battery became discharged. Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are a few variants of Lithium Ion Polymer chemistries with slightly different voltages and charging parameters.

What is the voltage output of your old battery when fully charged? And what voltage do you measure on the new battery? These cells have a nominal output of 3.7v. But like all batteries, the actual voltage varies a bit over as they discharge. They are fully charged at 4.2v and the internal protection circuit prevents them from being discharged to less than about 3v.

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

Just curious...

The adafruit chargers will charge a samsung 3.7 1300mAh Li/Ion battery I jacked from a busted phone, yeah?

I did read the product pages and it says yes for Li/Ion but says not for older ones 3.6/4.2v. Mine clearly says 4.7V, so should I be good? I just want top make sure before I order.

Thanx

S.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

@Syn7 Should work just fine I have one charging a 4400 mah from Adafruit.

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

Sweet. Thanx for responding. Much appreciated.

S.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”