Occidentalis 02 - Not working with my (non HYNIX) PI

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
justinemter

Occidentalis 02 - Not working with my (non HYNIX) PI

Post by justinemter »

I've tried and tried but Occidentalis 02 simply won't work with my Raspberry Pi. I checked the chip out and did notice that it was a "3DAI8" Micron chip... not a HYNIX. I found this handy raspberry pi chip chart that shows me that it is a "Micron" chip: http://elinux.org/RaspberryPi_Boards.

Any ideas as to why Occidentalis does not work on my ram chip? Does it only work on Samsung chips?

Here is an image of the board:

http://elinux.org/File:BM1320-Front.JPG

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Occidentalis 02 - Not working with my (non HYNIX) PI

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

"Doesn't work" is a fairly broad category of problems. Exactly what happens when you try to boot from an SD card with an Occidentalis image on it? The state of the red and green LEDs provides information about where the device is in the boot process, assuming it doesn't get far enough to put a display on a screen or send one to the console.

While we're talking about basics, can you successfully boot the RasPi from the same SD card with another OS image written to it? Can you boot another RasPi into Occidentalis with the SD card as it is?

justinemter

Post by justinemter »

Thanks for the quick response!

So my PI works fine with Rasperian Wheezy but when trying to boot it with the Occidentalis img it simply powers up and thats it... There is no blinking green LED's nor is there any display coming from the monitor. The usual LED's are on telling me that it is plugged in and receiving power, but that is all.

I came across a similar post here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 9&p=418109 - where someone mentioned that they should fix the issue by replacing the "bootcode.bin" or something... As this post was very vague, it didn't help.

Any ideas?

adafruit_support_mike

The Micron chip is another Hynix-like RAM chip supported by versions of Raspbian more recent than the one we used as the base for Occidentalis. Different name, same issue.

Fortunately the solution isn't too hard: when you write the OS image to the SD card, it creates a FAT-32 partition that will mount as a regular removable drive on your desktop computer. If you open that drive, you'll see a bunch of files the RasPi uses to get things started. One of those files is named 'bootcode.bin', which the RasPi uses to start the hardware boot process.

What you need to do is replace the 'bootcode.bin' file on your Occidentalis SD card with the one from your Wheezy SD card.. a simple drag-and-drop operation, though you'll probably need to copy the file to the desktop and swap cards if you don't have two SD card adapters.

I haven't confirmed it myself (all my RasPis have pre-Hynix RAM), but I'm told that will get the boot process going.

Try it, and post here if it works. I'd love to have direct confirmation so I can pass the solution along to other people having the same trouble.

skyhook

Post by skyhook »

I tried swapping 'bootcode.bin' file from working raspberry wheezy SD onto your Occidentalis SD card. No luck. Get one blink of green ACT LED and Red PWR LED stays on. Nothing to screen.

al1fch

Post by al1fch »

'bootcode.bin' swapping as suggested doesn't the job with a recent board equipped with '3GA18' Micron RAM
same 'one blink' ACT LED as before swapping.
Regards

adafruit_support_mike

Apparently you need the `start.elf` and `fixup.dat` files as well.

If that doesn't work, try replacing `kernel.img` as well.

schwabbbel

Post by schwabbbel »

Replacing 'bootcode.bin', `start.elf` and `fixup.dat` as described did work for me.
Thank you

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”