Newbie needs a list of parts!

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pbk

Newbie needs a list of parts!

Post by pbk »

Hi there! I'm new to hobby electronics. I have a project in mind for a wall clock. I need around 20 LEDs that light on / off depending on the time of day. I have a few questions.

Can someone make me a list of parts I would need? I think an Arduino would be the best fit, but I have no idea, really. I'm just not sure about what exactly I would need to separately control 20 lights. And there are so many options... It's hard!

Would you guys recommend battery power? Cables are ugly! :P

Franklin97355

Re: Newbie needs a list of parts!

Post by Franklin97355 »

Take a look at the neopixels. you could connect them in a row and address them from the Arduino. If you explained your project in more detail you might get more detailed info back.

pbk

Post by pbk »

Sure, I can give more detail.

I'm a big pinball fan, and I love weird watches / clocks. I came across an antique backglass and decided to turn it into a clock.

The white dots are where I need LEDs. The glass is about 20" by 22". I might use the neopixels for the middle strip. My budget is around 75$.

Thanks!

pedroplaza

Post by pedroplaza »

Hi,

it sounds great. In my opinion Arduino will fit perfectly. You should define how will be he interface between Arduino and the LEDs. As a first approach it can be just controlled with a single Arduino MEGA 1280. But if you use extra hardware you only need a small Arduino UNO.

Regards,

Pedro.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I would recommend an Arduino Uno, and our new mini neopixels: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1612 These are simple to wire up and require just one Arduino pin to drive all 18. Total cost for the UNO, Neopixels and a power supply would be less than $60.

pbk

Post by pbk »

Thank you all for the answers!

Just to make sure I get this right...
Is this all I need? What about cables ? Do the neopixels come with enough for my project?

Thanks again! :D

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The neopixels don't come with any cable. You would need enough hookup cable to connect +5v, GND and 1 signal wire, daisy-chained to each pixel - plus soldering supplies.

As a pinball tinkerer, I figured you would have all that. But if not, we have hookup wire here: http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... wire+spool
And soldering supplies: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... ring/tools

pbk

Post by pbk »

Thank you!

Most of my pinball machines are old pre-80s electro-mechanicals; I've only had to resolder a few things so far.

Again, thanks, I really appreciate it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”