Help with Trinket and AM2302

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_rick

Re: Help with Trinket and AM2302

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

It could just be a bad connection. I soldered the wires from the AM2302 to header pins, so that I could get a better connection in the breadboard socket. Try that, try moving things around in the breadboard.

jpbierly

Post by jpbierly »

Thanks, I soldered my AM2302 wires to headers-still have the problem. Moved the Trinket around on the Breadboard-still have the problem. Tried a completely different breadboard-still have the problem. I am just about ready to give up.

adafruit_support_rick

Before you give up entirely, let's replace the am2302. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

jpbierly

Post by jpbierly »

Thanks Rick, I will email Support with a link to this forum. Thank you for all of your help, you have been great!

punchcard

Post by punchcard »

I too am having trouble with the Trinket, DHT, LCD. In my case the DHT22 would run on pin one with the resistor with mixed results. Some times only bad read, sometimes starts right up with temp display, sometimes bad read and then temp for awhile. Never displays the temp for more than about five minutes. Following Rick's advice putting the DHT on pin 4 without an external resistor gets better results. Starts and runs much more often, and will run for as long as fifteen minutes sometimes. My DHT22 runs for months on the Ardunio and still does when I put it back. I wondered if Windows 8.1 was the problem (doesn't play well with the USB port) so tried powering it from a USB power supply. Same results. I'm thinking the Trinket is the problem. Hope you can figure this out, this is a really nice project.

adafruit_support_rick

The DHT22 does require the pullup resistor (the AM2302 does not). Please try it with the pullup on Pin 4.

punchcard

Post by punchcard »

Sorry to be so slow to respond. Thank you Rick for your excellent help not just with this thread, but the others as well. I didn't realize there were two versions of the DHT22. I am using the AM2302. As far as I kow there is no way to increase the resistance without opening the package. I did vary it from 0 to 5k. Ran the longest (one hour) at 2.5k, but then would only run for a few minutes after that. From the things I've read the the timing is important. Running the Trinket at 16MHz is pushing. Since this project and the IR remote both have similar problems, and both need 16MHz to work, I'm going to guess that the Trinket is the problem. I'll get another in my next order and we'll see. In the meantime thank you all again for your help and support. It's the one of the reasons I like Adafruit.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”