Garduino - Near Infrared Camera

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
uflnuceng

Garduino - Near Infrared Camera

Post by uflnuceng »

Hello everyone,

I came across this interesting project, Infragram.org, which details modifying cameras to not filter the near infrared channels to diagnose plant health. To sum up, plants look green because when they are healthy, they absorb the red and blue spectrum (of the RGB) and reflect green. Well, healthy plants also reflect a lot of the near infrared spectrum, that is the part of the red spectrum that is just outside our viewable wavelengths. Creating a false color image (i.e. overlaying the NIR with the visible light) will show healthy plants as being bright, and sick plants as very dark. Not only do I love this idea for my greenhouse, but can you imagine putting this on a balloon and taking a picture of my 9 acres of corn instead of having to walk the entire thing?

Now, I would love to do this with a Raspberry Pi, maybe combine it with stop motion photography as well. My question is, have you ever taken the Rasp Pi Camera Board apart? From what I've read, there are different filters between the lens and the sensor, and you have to modify that part of the camera. What about your NoIR camera? I need to take pictures during the day, and you state this isn't the best camera for that.

Do I just need to order a #1367 Camera Board and take one apart, or can you guys see what I'm trying to do and know whether or not its plausible.

Thanks!

uflnuceng

Re: Garduino - Near Infrared Camera

Post by uflnuceng »

Sp... once there was this idiot, who posted a question on the adafruit forums, who didn't click the link in the description of the product he was asking about, that told him exactly what he wanted to know... sigh...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5146

You guys say right in the description you include a blue film with it... you provide the link... for some reason, I didn't click. LOL.

Anyway, this is definitely going to be a thing for me. Very awesome.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Garduino - Near Infrared Camera

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hey, at least you found it before we pointed to it. ;-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”