DC conversion: 5v to 3.3v

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jeppedy

DC conversion: 5v to 3.3v

Post by jeppedy »

I'm an idiot... I bought a small collection of Arduino Nanos to go with my RF modules (nRF24L01+) to make my own sensor network (Yes, I know I can buy them all set and ready to go, but this is more fun!)
But... The nRF modules run 3.3v, 15mA (5v-Logic-tolerant, but must run off 3.3v) and the Nano units (chosen for their size and cost) don't supply 3.3v when not plugged into USB. Which these will not be.

What is the most cost-effective way to drop my 5v DC supply voltage to 3.3v DC to supply the nRF24L01+ module (~15mA peak requirement)?

(In the mean time, I might just use my spare USB chargers, connecting to the USB ports rather than batteries through power-in pins...)

MintShard

Re: DC conversion: 5v to 3.3v

Post by MintShard »

I would recommend using the MCP1702 regulator which you can pick up for about $0.50 on Mouser, Digi-Key, or any other distributor.

It is very inexpensive, can supply up to 250mA, and only needs two 1uF capacitors to function.

zener

Post by zener »

What nrf24l01 module do you have? Some have regulators on them.

jeppedy

Post by jeppedy »

Thanks for the lead on the regulators! Inexpensive, easy to understand, small, small current loss... Just what I needed. Thanks again!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”