Melexis Contact-less Infrared Sensor - MLX90614 3V

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
richardgedwards

Melexis Contact-less Infrared Sensor - MLX90614 3V

Post by richardgedwards »

I am trying to use the Melexis Contact-less Infrared Sensor - MLX90614 3V in a project. I am having trouble having it even acknowledge. Is there a way to tell if I received the 3V version vs the 5V version? I cannot see any part markings on the sensor.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Melexis Contact-less Infrared Sensor - MLX90614 3V

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

There should be a set of laser-etched markings on the side of the can. What are the first three letters?

richardgedwards

That is hard to read. After taking a high res photo I was able to see it and it look like the 3v version with BAA as the first three letters. Do you have suggestions on the most basic SMBus sequence I can send this to see if it is working? Unfortunately I am not using a arduino so I can't use your libraries. I am using a SMBus library that bit-bangs some io pins. I send a start, then write the address 0x00 or 0x5A and I am not getting an acknowledge form the device. Any suggestions?

zener

Post by zener »

Have you looked at the PWM output? That should tell you if it is working.

richardgedwards

That would be helpful, however according to my understanding the the factory default POR setting is SMBus. Therefore I would need to still be able to use the SMBus to configure the sensor to output the PWM. Here is what the datasheet says:

The MLX90614 can be read via PWM or SMBus compatible interface. Selection of PWM output is done
in EEPROM configuration (factory default is SMBus).

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The device only supports a limited subset of SMBus options, and the parts that it does support are compatible with I2C. I'd suggest copying the code, or at least the bit sequences, in the Adafruit library. That will at least give you a reference point from a known working condition.

66harley

Post by 66harley »

I have a couple of MLX90614`s that I use for sensors. They use the I2C library. I learned to use them on my Uno at http://bildr.org/2011/02/mlx90614-arduino/. they have an excellent tutorial, photo of hookup, and sample code.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”