Volume Control For Music Server/HTPC Case Build

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bwest1000

Volume Control For Music Server/HTPC Case Build

Post by bwest1000 »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this site, and to be honest this is really the start of a little custom project addition I am trying to create. After searching the web, scouring it really, I am still at a loss for the exact way to go about designing and implementing a motorized volume control that can interface with a USB port to control the volume level on my operating systems, Mac and Windows. I saw the "trinket rotary encoder" design, and I am interested in something like that except I want to use a motorized potentiometer not a rotary encoder. Why do I want to do this? Because I think a motorized volume knob is awesome looking. I think it is so cool to adjust the volume with a remote and see the knob turn on the stereo. Really, this is a project for my desired aesthetic, and this is going to be a small part of a larger, homemade enclosure. I see that AMB has a device that looks almost like what I want, but I don't want the LCD interface, as I am going to use a touch screen monitor mounted into the case. And the AMB product is a part of a preamp in a traditional sense and not a USB device. There are also similar products on eBay, but they are also traditional coaxially connected volume adjustments, not USB. I know some people frown on an HTPC with a screen, but I like it. So I'm doing it. I would prefer to use an ALPs or TKD motorized potentiometer. Again, the motorized potentiometer is for aesthetic, as I could get excellent volume control in many other ways. I saw the post on "arduino and potentiometer", but could that work with a motorized pot? The remote control interface would be through the computer. I think a Griffin Bluetooth Powermate when it comes out. So if I adjust the volume through the Griffin the pot would turn and look cool on my case. Price isn't too big of a concern. Under $100 for the whole volume rig would be nice, and that $100 does not include the $60 Powermate. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Also, I am a pretty humble guy, humble but quirky hence the desired design aesthetic, so if this is impossible that info would be nice too :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”