crimping tool for ring terminal connectors

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bartgrefte

crimping tool for ring terminal connectors

Post by bartgrefte »

Recently I had a need for ring-terminal connectors, or whatever the official name is, connectors like these:

The pliers I got from a local hardware store turned out to be cra p, so I tried Ratcheting Crimper Pliers - #18-28 AWG which I had lying around, but the (yellow) ring-terminal connectors are to big for that one.

Do you guys happen to have a pliers like that, but that can handle ring-terminal connectors?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: crimping tool for ring terminal connectors

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The largest crimpers we have will handle connectors for 18AWG wire. They are designed for bare metal connectors. The plastic insulators pictured would require more clearance as well.

https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=crimper

egutting

Post by egutting »

Have you tried a set of larger pliers?

lyndon

Post by lyndon »

Crimp terminals should be crimped with a crimp tool. Pliers do a really crappy job.
I know you're not sending a vehicle into orbit, but pliers are probably worse than just soldering it.
Try these guys. You should be able to find something there and the prices aren't too bad.

egutting

Post by egutting »

I would argue that pliers would work better than a crimping tool just because of how these connectors are designed. If you use pliers, you can make the two flaps compress against the wire better than crimping which usually just presses the middle down on the wire and creates a somewhat loose connection.
crimp.jpg
crimp.jpg (6.58 KiB) Viewed 955 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I would argue that pliers would work better than a crimping tool just because of how these connectors are designed. If you use pliers, you can make the two flaps compress against the wire better than crimping which usually just presses the middle down on the wire and creates a somewhat loose connection.
If the connector is properly sized for the wire and the crimper is designed and properly sized for the connector, loose connections should not be a problem. There are many fine points to creating an industrial quality crimp. It would be nearly impossible to achieve one using common pliers.

http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ats/TM-640160065.pdf

egutting

Post by egutting »

All I'm saying is that this is the kind of tool that gets included with the packages of these types of ring terminals:
crimptool.jpg
crimptool.jpg (29.21 KiB) Viewed 951 times
These things don't work at all which is why I suggest pliers.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”