VS1035B Codec and MicroSD Breakout Wiring Question

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
icel

VS1035B Codec and MicroSD Breakout Wiring Question

Post by icel »

I recently purchased the components for the Piano Glove project and I have been following the instructions to build it. In the instructions it talks about two different versions of the Codec, V.1 and V.2. The photos show the wiring for V.1 but I have the V.2 with has a few pins that are different. I've attached a couple of the pictures from the tutorial which show the codec and it's wiring.

Question 1: One connection shown is the GND (V.1) connection which is pictured in flora_IMG_2814 (attached) and in the wiring diagram. I see that there is a connection there but there is no image in the tutorial that shows how it is connected on the underside of the board. Where does that connection come from? Is it from the GND (pin numbered 18) on the opposite side of the board?

Question 2: On the V.2 version of the board that I received there is no GND pin on the corresponding part of the codec. The GND pins are the opposite side of the codec. Which is the GND that needs to be connected? Or is it the AGND that is above the 3V3 pin (see V.2 pic attached)? Are there any other differences concerning how to connect and solder between V.1 and V.2 that are not in the tutorial?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am looking forward to getting this project working.
Attachments
1381-00 copy.jpg
1381-00 copy.jpg (783.72 KiB) Viewed 554 times
flora_PianoGlove-wiring-audio.png
flora_PianoGlove-wiring-audio.png (385.08 KiB) Viewed 554 times
flora_IMG_2814.jpg
flora_IMG_2814.jpg (391.62 KiB) Viewed 554 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: VS1035B Codec and MicroSD Breakout Wiring Question

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You can use any of the pins marked GND. They are all equivalent. Do not use AGND. That is for audio signals.

The only significant difference between wiring for V1 and V2 is that V2 does not require external decoupling capacitors on the output.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Not sure about Question #1 - It may have simply been photographed before the jumper was in place.

Regarding GND and AGND - it looks like they have traded places. You would still want to connect FLORA GND to GND, not to AGND, so you'll need to jumper GND to the other side of your breadboard.

icel

Post by icel »

Thank you for the help!! It works perfectly!

ladysputnick

Post by ladysputnick »

so wait, what is the replacement for GBUF?
I'm also building a piano glove and got stuck with everything working except for no sound coming out of the speaker but some statics. Was wondering if maybe thats whats missing to get the right connection to the audio jack

Thanks

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

ladysputnick wrote:so wait, what is the replacement for GBUF?
Use AGND

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”