is a peltier module my answer?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
benjaminellis

is a peltier module my answer?

Post by benjaminellis »

i've been trying to figure out a way of combining a personal air cooler with a half mask respirator so i can get cool and filtered air while working outdoors in the heat, and i'd like to have something better than sucking air through a wet sponge; is making dual air basins around the filter intakes and cooling them with peltier modules an idiotic idea? i've never used one before so i'm not sure if this is a ridiculous idea, for any number of reasons, but any advice would be helpful; even if it's just to tell me this is a dumb idea.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: is a peltier module my answer?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That sounds like it could work. The tricky part with Peltier junctions is that they are more efficient at heating than cooling. if you are not careful, you end up just re-cooling the air that the hot-side heats up. But as long as you have a way to exhaust the hot-side air well away from the intakes, you should get significant cooling.

benjaminellis

Post by benjaminellis »

i was thinking of threading intake tubes all the way around the back of the head to where the harness goes anyways. have heatsinks on both sides of the peltier module, one on the inside of the air cavern around the actual filter intake (with the long tube leading into it) and the hot side heatsink jutting out the sides into the open air. while walking around i would think the air travel would more than make up for the hotter than normal medium and the lack of a fan. can i run a peltier module that will be strong enough to make an actual change for any reasonable amount of time on a battery small enough to attach to the side of a respirator?

benjaminellis

Post by benjaminellis »

the idea is to try to cool a very small pocket of air around the intake of the respirator

adafruit_support_bill

i was thinking of threading intake tubes all the way around the back of the head
While walking, the air-flow would be across the heat-sinks and toward the back. I'd expect to find cooler air forintake toward the front.
can i run a peltier module that will be strong enough to make an actual change for any reasonable amount of time on a battery small enough to attach to the side of a respirator?

the idea is to try to cool a very small pocket of air around the intake of the respirator
Good question. Although the air pocket is small, the actual volume of air moving through that pocket is not so small. Still, I'd expect that you should be able to achieve some cooling. Power is the bigger question. Our 12v modules can pull as much as 5A. What kind of runtime do you need?

benjaminellis

Post by benjaminellis »

it'd be nice to get a few hours from some sort of rechargeable battery

adafruit_support_bill

Our smaller modules pull >1A @5v. If you were to run them from a 3.7v LiPo, they would probably pull a bit less than 1A. Using a 2500mAh LiPo cell you should get more than 2.5 hours:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1331
https://www.adafruit.com/images/480x360/328-00.jpg

Both of these are pretty lightweight, and the peltier modules are small. You could probably mount one set on each side for more cooling power.

wangdutenzin

Post by wangdutenzin »

Is there a data sheet available for product ID 1331? The 5v 1 A peltier device
I need to see the seebeck coefficient

adafruit_support_bill

We do not have any information on these other than what is posted in the Technical Details.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”