Tiny Camera for Pipe Inspection

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
baxtertidwell

Tiny Camera for Pipe Inspection

Post by baxtertidwell »

I have a water pipe that has a leak. It is 300' long with a 3/4" inside diameter. The pipe is buried below the frost line about 4' deep.

I'd rather not dig up the whole pipe, as I imagine the leak is small and just at one point. So I was hoping to send a camera through the pipe from end to end in order to find where the leak is. At that point, I can just dig in that one spot to do the repair.

There are certainly enough tiny cameras that I can use, but I also need to make a long run, at least 300 feet, to get the data out and power in.

Adafruit has https://www.adafruit.com/products/1386, which provides a TTL serial output. The camera is certainly small enough, but I think the board is too wide to fit in the pipe and I don't know how long the serial line will be viable for data.

Does anyone have ideas for this potential project? I'll need a camera with a short focal length and an LED for lighting the way, plus electronics for converting to some signal that can reach 300 feet. From that point, I can easily convert the serial to a video or series of still images.

Advice?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Tiny Camera for Pipe Inspection

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

TTL serial output would be painfully slow. It takes several seconds per frame to transmit. You would want to use the composite video output. But all the cameras we stock are too big for your application and do not have the appropriate optics.

If you search the web for "borescope" you will camera/light systems designed for this application.

baxtertidwell

Post by baxtertidwell »

Thanks for the tip. I've found several options that utilize USB. The problem is the 20-ft limitation of USB. Any recommendations as to a method of amplifying or repeating the signal so it will go 300 feet?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

USB has a limit to the number of repeaters/hubs in the line. And I don't know of any that would fit in your pipe. There are Ethernet cameras too. But all the ones I know of are still too big.

Here is a commercial unit that goes to 98'. You might be able to find a longer one. Although at those prices, you might be better off renting one.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tool ... /202800903

tastewar

Post by tastewar »

Yes, if you have a tool rental company at all near you (e.g. Taylor Rental), check with them. Some do rent out such tools.

Hanson

Post by Hanson »

Can't help with the electronics, but have you tried shutting off the water at the end of the 300' run and leaving the pipe under full pressure for a day or two and then check for damp spots above the run? maybe even boost the pressure by closing both ends and using compressed air 100-psi injected into the 300' section.

Also check for things growing well where nothing else is. I have a small farm and can commiserate with you on the issue. Been there done that. :)

baxtertidwell

Post by baxtertidwell »

I've found an ethernet repeater that goes 300 feet, but the device end is too large. So it must be possible, but I'll have to find a circuit that I can make (hopefully) smaller.

And Hanson, the pipe is 4-feet down through rocky soil. It's on a road so I wouldn't even be able to tell if things are growing better there. I've left it on for a few days. I discovered it when the well pump came on when no faucets should have been turned on. It's probably leaking less than a gallon a day, but it still bothers me.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”