575 4.5 to 30v meter

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
oldbaldy

575 4.5 to 30v meter

Post by oldbaldy »

I installed a 575 meter in my 1931 ford. The car is 6 volt positive ground. I hooked the red wire to ground and black wire to negative post of battery and meter worked for a short time. It stopped working and melted the solder on the board. I have another one on hand and would like to use it without damage. Should I hook the red to positive post and black to negative post or is this going to cause problems?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 575 4.5 to 30v meter

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

[Moved to General Project Help]

zener

Re: 575 4.5 to 30v meter

Post by zener »

That would be the proper way to connect it. It is possible the meter was bad. However, I would recommend a couple of tests. Measure the car's voltage with a multimeter. Use both the DC scale and the AC scale. The only theory I can come up with, other than a bad meter, is some voltage spikes above 30V that are hurting it. You might see these with an AC measurement, or you might read a high reading on the DC scale also.

As far as testing the meter itself, you could hook the new meter up to a 9V battery or some other low voltage and measure the current if you are able, or just let it sit for a while. It should not even get warm.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”