Raspberry Pi locking door

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Kairouz

Raspberry Pi locking door

Post by Kairouz »

So im to the training stage of the tutorial, however I cannot run the first script. I've reinstalled all the dependencies from the previous step but no luck. Please advise
Attachments
1964947_778340498872448_392005347015287868_n.jpg
1964947_778340498872448_392005347015287868_n.jpg (110.14 KiB) Viewed 1117 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Raspberry Pi locking door

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You're missing the shared object library libmmal.so

It looks like you haven't installed the picamera library?

Have you done all these commands from the tutorial? Did they all complete successfully?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install python-pip
sudo apt-get install python-dev
sudo pip install picamera
sudo pip install rpio

Kairouz

Post by Kairouz »

Still not working :( Yes the picamera library is installed and they did complete. Does running Occidentalis make any difference?

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

That's odd that picamera can't find a certain shared library. Can you run this command to list any location where the libmmal.so might be on the system? We can try adding that path to the path that Linux searches for shared libraries to see if it helps. Run this command:

sudo find / -name libmmal.so

On my Pi running Raspbian I see this result:
/opt/vc/lib/libmmal.so

Let's check what you see on your Pi.

Kairouz

Post by Kairouz »

This is what comes up
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (169.24 KiB) Viewed 1076 times

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Thanks for running the command, good to see the file is there in the /opt/vc/lib path. Now run this command in a terminal to tell Linux that it should search for shared libraries in that /opt/vc/lib path:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/vc/lib

Then in that same terminal try to run the capture-positives.py script again (sudo python capture-positives.py). Let's see if that helps Linux find the shared library.

Kairouz

Post by Kairouz »

Still no luck

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Interesting--a couple more commands to run to help check if there's some sort of architecture/compilation issue that's causing the library not to load. Run these two commands and grab the output:

uname -a

file /opt/vc/lib/libmmal.so

The first command will print info on the current system like the kernel version and architecture. The second will print details on the libmmal.so file, like how it was compiled.

Kairouz

Post by Kairouz »

The results
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (70.1 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Thanks for running, nothing jumps out as wrong with the architecture there.

Lets see if other tools can access the camera. The raspistill command will take a picture and save it as as jpeg. Can you try running this to see if it successfully grabs a picture with the camera:

raspistill -o photo.jpg

If it works it should save a picture under photo.jpg. If it fails, grab the output of the error so we can debug further. Thanks!

Kairouz

Post by Kairouz »

Im guessing this is because the camera library isnt installed?
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (62.35 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

One other thing to mention, when i go to install the picamera and rpio library i am prompted to upgrade, here is my window.
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (77.18 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Yeah that's odd that raspistill isn't available. The picamera python library is actually a separate thing (it's a python library with basically the same functionality as raspistill), but it depends on the same libraries that raspistill uses internally. The upgrade message is actually just a warning that the library is already installed and to use the --upgrade option to force it to reinstall.

I was searching around a bit for raspistill not found errors, and this thread has some good advice to try running a firmware update on the board. Execute:

sudo rpi-update

Just in case the update does something unexpected, back up any important files from the Pi before you run it too. Let the update do its thing and then reboot the board when it's finished.

If all that still fails to work I think the best option would be reinstalling the OS. It's kind of drastic but unfortunately I don't see many other things to try. One thing that could help though, if you reinstall with Raspbian I actually have a script now to automatically upgrade Raspbian to the testing version of it so it can download a precompiled version of OpenCV. This would save you from having to compile the whole thing again.

Kairouz

Post by Kairouz »

Unfortunately that still didn't work so i've decided to take the drastic route. If you could upload that script it would be great.
Thanks heaps for all your help!

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

No problem, install the latest Raspbian image (2014-01-07) from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ Then grab install_dependencies.sh from the github repo here: https://github.com/tdicola/pi-facerec-box Copy that file to the Pi (or just clone the repository on the pi by running 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install git && git clone https://github.com/tdicola/pi-facerec-box.git' without quotes). Then run the install dependencies script as root with:

sudo ./install_dependencies.sh

This will prompt you to confirm the upgrade to Debian testing/'jessie' which you'll want to type ok and enter to continue. The script will automatically upgrade the OS to the testing build, download all the precompiled dependencies and install them. The whole process is unattended and should take about an hour.

Once it's done, run raspi-config and select the enable camera option to make sure it configures video memory, etc. for the camera. Execute:

sudo raspi-config

Reboot the pi, and at this point you should be ready to run capture-positives.py again. Give it a shot and let me know if you run into issues.

Kairouz

Post by Kairouz »

I was hoping i wouldn't need to bother you with any more issues but there is a little one :)

it cannot find the command:
Capture4.JPG
Capture4.JPG (16.17 KiB) Viewed 979 times
Thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”