Fan on the Peltier Assembly

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
RichB1

Fan on the Peltier Assembly

Post by RichB1 »

I just got the Peltier Thermo-Electric Cooler Module + Heatsink Assembly. Does the fan connect to the 12V 5A switching power supply that I also purchased? Or does the fan require separate power? If so, what voltage/current?

Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Fan on the Peltier Assembly

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The fan is designed to run on 12v also. You can connect it to the same power supply.

adaada

Post by adaada »

I just tested the fan on the assembly I just received; it drew 190 mA at 12 VDC, 220 mA at 13.8.

Question and request: Is the Peltier module itself OK to run directly at 13.8 VDC,
i.e. without regulating down to 12 VDC? It appears this Velleman module can
go 15.4 VDC max. What's the max on the module used in your Peltier assembly,
and do you have a detailed data sheet for it? The product page doesn't have
much on the Peltier module itself (yet :)

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1335
http://www.parts-express.com/peltier-th ... p--320-252

thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Ratings for bare Peltier junctions are based on the assumption that you can dissipate the heat from the hot-side. If you try to run any bare Peltier module at 15.4v for an extended period without an adequate heat-sink and fan or other system to remove the heat, it will self-destruct.

The Peltier/Heat-Sink/Fan assembly we sell is an integrated system that is rated at 12v for continuous use.

swenke01

Post by swenke01 »

My resistance is ZERO across the Peltier Thermo Electric Plate! How do I get adafruit to honor their sale?

the peltier thermo electric module does NOT work! The fan does but the Peltier most certainly does not.
There is zero resistance in Ohms across the Peltier and is shorting out the whole unit when connected to the fan. There must be a resistance across the plate for anything to happen!

adafruit_support_bill

How do I get adafruit to honor their sale?
That is an odd question to ask, considering that this is your very first post on the topic.

If you are measuring zero ohms across the junction, then there is an internal short somewhere. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we will send you a replacement.

Now that wasn't so bad, was it?

jnc13

Post by jnc13 »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Ratings for bare Peltier junctions are based on the assumption that you can dissipate the heat from the hot-side. If you try to run any bare Peltier module at 15.4v for an extended period without an adequate heat-sink and fan or other system to remove the heat, it will self-destruct.

The Peltier/Heat-Sink/Fan assembly we sell is an integrated system that is rated at 12v for continuous use.
Assuming I do dissipate the heat, can the 1335 Peltier assembly be run at higher than 12V? I want to run it in a marine battery powered system, where the unregulated voltage could be 14+ volts.

Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

We have not tested it at higher than the recommended 12v/5A (60W). It has a peak rating of 72W - which would be at about 14.4v. But it is probably not a good idea to run it at that level continuously. There are automotive buck/boost converters with 12v/5A output. That would be a safer way to go.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”