Ultimate GPS V3

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
AIDEV

Ultimate GPS V3

Post by AIDEV »

Okay so hopefully I can get some help on this. I am using the full offline version of NOOBS and installed the Rasbian OS on my Rpi board. I have wired up my GPS board just as the instructions say but I cannot seem to get my PI to see the USB-Serial data. When i use the lsusb command i see everything else but nothing for the GPS. My GPS is powered up and blinking about every 15 seconds which indicates that I have GPS. Anyone have any ideas? I have tried swapping my TX/RX just to see if that could some how be it with no change.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Ultimate GPS V3

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Are you using a USB-to-Serial cable between the RasPi and the GPS module, or using a straight UART connection?

AIDEV

Post by AIDEV »

Yes I am plugged into the USB on the PI. I have tried swapping my RX/TX to see if I had those backwards with no change.

adafruit_support_mike

Post a photo of your hardware and connections please. We'll see if those give us any clues.

AIDEV

Post by AIDEV »

Sorry for the late reply! I am now able to see my serial/USB adaptor but have run into some new issues. The biggest of which is that i need a network connection to run the install for my GPS to work. I am unable to plug this unit into my network and am unsure how to proceed.

adafruit_support_mike

About the best suggestion I can make is that the RasPi is highly portable. If you find a place where you can make a network connection (I think most McDonalds have free wifi by now), you can take the RasPi there long enough to do the necessary installation.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”