Pi model b + with video glasses

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BioToxic

Pi model b + with video glasses

Post by BioToxic »

I believe this is the most apt place for this question, if not, I'm sorry, but anywhoo, I'm planning on buying a raspberry pi model b+ and given the new video output, I was wondering if the video input for the glasses actually used a TRRS plug, with an adapter to NSTC/PAL in the cable, because it would appear that way in the pictures:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1452
so I was wondering if with two of these I could make a cable:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1799
and go straight from the output of the pi to the glasses...
while on the subject, I was also wondering size/style the jacks are on the earbuds, I assume probably mono, since it looks like each earbud connects individually, but I have no clue what size they are.
I figured I ought to ask before I ordered a ton of money's worth of stuff, and got things wrong,
so thank you for your help, it's certainly appreciated

Thank You,
Chris

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Pi model b + with video glasses

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The display comes with a 4-conductor cable that should be able to pass audio/video straight from the RasPi B+ to the glasses. I haven't actually tried that though, so I'll have someone pull the relevant parts and try it.

The product specs list the earbuds as being stereo, but I'll see if we can get a photo of those as well.

BioToxic

Post by BioToxic »

Awesome, thank you, and I was under the assumption that the earbuds were individual and that they would have two different mono outputs, together forming stereo audio, but that was just speculation from what I've seen on other video glasses. regardless, thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Chris

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

The video glasses are TRRS - ground/video/left/right
I think the B+ is TRRS - video/ground/left/right
so it wont work out of the box. you could build a custom TRRS cable with 2 x http://www.adafruit.com/product/1799

BioToxic

Post by BioToxic »

thank you, I'll do that, I appreciate your help, now I just need to know about the earbuds, then I can finally get started on my first diy project!

Thank You,
Chris

BioToxic

Post by BioToxic »

also, when you listed out the order for the TRRS connectors, was that from the tip down, or the other way around?

Thank You,
Chris

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Tip down: TRRS == Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve.

BioToxic

Post by BioToxic »

ah, yeah, the meaning of TRRS was in the product description for the TRRS plug, I just didn't remember/realize that would be the standard order for specifying which connections are where. thank you, I really appreciate all the help. and also, by any chance does anyone know what kind of plug(s) the earbuds for the video glasses use? in the fist picture, it looks like they're separate, and plug in behind the lenses on either side of the display module box thing, but I can't tell what size the plugs are, but I assume they'd be mono output with two different outputs, one for each earbud as I mentioned previously.

Thanks for all the help,
Chris

ESL91

Post by ESL91 »

I can confirm that the cable supplied with the video glasses is not compatible with the b+. I have a b and a b+ and I tested it out on the b+ first, but ended up having to use them with the b. If you're confident in your splicing ability it might be possible to rewire the cord to the correct configuration?

BioToxic

Post by BioToxic »

I wouldn't bother to splice it, I'll just make a cable, I need a really fine cable for this anyway, so it's probably best that I make my own. Thank you though, confirmation is helpful. you wouldn't happen to know by any chance what size/style the earbuds are though, would you? I need to know that so I can get some plugs for prototyping before I gut the glasses...

Thank You,
Chris

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”