Surface plug for current flow

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mattjakob

Surface plug for current flow

Post by mattjakob »

Hello,
I'm designing/3D printing a hollow a spherical object that will contain some RGB leds lights (specifically the NEOpixel ones). The basement (a separate object from the sphere) contains the Arduino Yun stuff and power.
Because I would like the sphere to be removable, I am looking at ways to connect the Arduino and the LEDs using "surface plugs" (or "contactless" - I dont if such name makes sense). Basically I would like to have all the 3 wires that connect the RGB leds inside the sphere to be attached to 3 metallic disks (or other conductive objects) that come out of the sphere surface. Same thing happens on the base: 3 metallic disks on the surface of the basement object are connected to the Arduino Yun and power. If this theory works when I should place the sphere on the basement - making the 3 pairs of disks touch - the RGB leds should light up etc.

I would like to know if anyone has ever done something similar or has an actual (better) idea of how to realise this "touch electrical connection"
Attachments
WIN_20140728_004105.png
WIN_20140728_004105.png (138.94 KiB) Viewed 280 times

Franklin97355

Re: Surface plug for current flow

Post by Franklin97355 »

Will there be a way to index the sphere and the base to make sure the contacts will be aligned and oriented? I would consider pins and sockets in a line with unique spacing to preclude plugging in backwards.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Maybe add some magnets to help with alignment as well as to assure good contact.

mattjakob

Post by mattjakob »

yes - the alignment shouldn't be a problem - I am planning to use magnets.
What I would like to know are some ideas / best practices of realising this surface connectors. Right now Im trying with solder and silver paste. I also wonder if magnets would pass the current well enough (considering the magnetic field will probably add some resistance).
Because Im using the NEOpixels leds - which work at high frequency - the connections must be relatively good.

ANY IDEAS ?

thanks,
mj

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I wouldn't rely on magnets themselves for conductivity - just to hold the parts in alignment and apply pressure to the contacts. The actual contacts could be made with something like this: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1894 or even copper tape https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=foil+tape

On the stationary base, you could use pogo-pins to assure good contact with the pads on the sphere.

Renate

Post by Renate »

Here's one solution that somebody did.
You have to consider what kind of current you are doing.
If you are only charging, consider inductive.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... ostcount=1

zener

Post by zener »

That is pretty cool. I am assuming these magnets were plated with some conductive metal?

edit - Regarding the plating Wikipedia says this: "Nickel plating or two-layered copper-nickel plating are the standard methods, although plating with other metals, or polymer and lacquer protective coatings are also in use."

So you would need to make sure you didn't get ones with non conductive coating. I have no idea if those are very common.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”