Using computer power supplies to power led strips.

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Comictrio

Using computer power supplies to power led strips.

Post by Comictrio »

Hello.

I'm a long time visitor/lurker to the Adafruit site and forums. I would like to use some leftover ATX computer power supplies to power some led strips for extra lighting.

I'm an old, semi retired IT guy that also spent decades building computers as a hobby at home. I'm looking for tips and trick and what to look out for to keep the project safe and reliable using these power supplies. The range of power supplies I have go from 550 to 1000 watt ATX and even some of the smaller, small form factor supplies in the range of 250 to 300 watts. None of the supplies I have are older then 2007, I kept them for the built in safety features they have. I bought a bunch of bulk 4 conductor Molex connectors years ago, with the housings and with the male and female pins, so I would like to use them for the connections.
I'm fussy about keeping everything looking neat and clean. If any one has an tips/trick or tutorials to point me to, I would greatly appreciate it. Oh, and, I'm an old-hand with a soldering iron too :)

Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Using computer power supplies to power led strips.

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

This is about using them for bench supplies, but much of the information is applicable to powering LED strips as well: http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/12/04 ... ply-f-a-q/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”