Making Custom 3.5mm M/M Audio Cables. Parts Recommendations?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Dragic

Making Custom 3.5mm M/M Audio Cables. Parts Recommendations?

Post by Dragic »

Hi guys,

This is my first time making my own 1/8th" stereo male/male audio cables. My understanding of electrical wiring is nonexistent but I'm trying to learn. I have purchased these plugs from Adafruit - https://www.adafruit.com/products/1800

My question is: What kind of wire do I need to get?

I've looked around and seen so many kinds. I can't seem to find an insulated wire with three internally insulated strands. If I used three separate lengths of copper wire to connect the jacks, would my cable work?

And recommendations or explanations would be incredibly helpful. Thanks.

lyndon

Re: Making Custom 3.5mm M/M Audio Cables. Parts Recommendati

Post by lyndon »

Three separate wires will work, but if you are sending audio signals, shielded cable will give better results. Adafruit already carries these but if you want to make longer cables, then this should work pretty well

Dragic

Post by Dragic »

lyndon wrote:Three separate wires will work, but if you are sending audio signals, shielded cable will give better results. Adafruit already carries these but if you want to make longer cables, then this should work pretty well
With the wire in the second link, non-insulated copper goes into the ground sleeve, right?

Once I find a 2-conductor shielded wire with the right diameter (looking to sleeve for aesthetics), I should be good to go. Thanks for letting me know what to search for.

lyndon

Post by lyndon »

What's wrong with the one I linked to? It should be exactly what you need. Yes, the shield is ground.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”