AM2315 Humidity problems

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
weathernick

AM2315 Humidity problems

Post by weathernick »

Support,

Backstory, The first AM2315 sensor was back and it was quickly replaced. The new sensor was detected and I have been using it to measure temperature and humidity for 4 months or so.

Now I am noticing my humidity levels are severely off. Some days it is only 6-8% but other days it can be as high as 15%. I am using this sensor for a meteorological station so this really isn't acceptable. Is there anything I can do here? I really like the specs on the sensor but if it can't keep them I am going to have to look at a different sensor.

Thanks,

Nickolas

adafruit_support_rick

Re: AM2315 Humidity problems

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

IS the sensor protected from the weather? It's not really "weatherproof"

weathernick

Post by weathernick »

I build a custom Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield (FARS). This keeps the sun off of it and keeps the rain out. Also there is a fan at the top that is pulling air from the bottom. When I inspected the sensor it looked perfect except for a little dust. It aged well for being in the FARS over the summer.

Picture of the FARS is there: http://static.flickr.com/5587/150154373 ... a94191.jpg

The humidity sensor still tracks very well, when moisture increases it ramps up and when moisture decreases it ramps down. The only problem is it is off by a large percent (bias). Well outside the specs of the sensor.

I verified the readings by using a sling psychrometer, a near by station, and a hand held humidity sensor. Those three were in agreement but my AM2315 was not.

You can also view the temperature output for the last 4 months via Wunderground here: http://www.wunderground.com/personal-we ... =KAZYUMA27

Any ideas? I love this sensor a lot but I need accurate readings. Also temperature seems spot on and I am pleased with that part of the sensor.

Thanks,

Nickolas

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Not sure what to suggest. It sounds like the sensor has gone bad. Unfortunately, our replacement period is 30 days.

weathernick

Post by weathernick »

Understood. Just wanted to be sure before switching sensor technology. The good thing at least is that I can salvage the casing.

thank you for your time,

Nickolas

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”