(now backlight) lcd display 16*2 bad/now contrast

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fiesta

(now backlight) lcd display 16*2 bad/now contrast

Post by fiesta »

hello members

i have a controller for a grass/ lawn robot, the display (without back light!!) contrast is bad/nothing.

Sometimes it does light up, but not too long, but the controller is fully functional.

I do have resistance to replace it because it is mounted with a board to board header. I did not do it before and there is a change i break up things. Is there a way to make it work again.

It is a lcd display without backlight!!.: The part number of the display is WM-C1602M-1GNNb / D1499001

I did already dissamble it, clean the elastomers (contacting rubbers) and glass, but now succes till now.

the display/controller is exposed to moisture, so this could be due to the problem.

I look forward to your opinion.

greetings
fiesta
holland

zener

Re: (now backlight) lcd display 16*2 bad/now contrast

Post by zener »

That does not look like a AF display product. So I can only offer general advice since it was not sold here. It has 16 pins so it should have a back light. However I realize your complaint is about contrast. The contrast is usually controlled by the Vo pin which I think is usually pin 4. You might measure the voltage there and see what it is. Unfortunately the voltage needed is not consistent from one display to another. Usually it is a very low voltage though, maybe .5V or less. Did you modify this product at all or the code?

fiesta

Post by fiesta »

hello

thank you for the reaction-mail, i did not modify anything, I just try to make this work so i can read the letters. For that reason i did disasssembly the glass from the lcd print (see picture), perhaps this does give you the information needed to identify the display (together with the previous information in numbers).

I appreciate more information how to make it work, or replace it (but in that case i want to know prior doing so, that it does work).

It has been told to me this is a lcd without backlight, because it can been seen on the glass, there is now backlight visible (see picture).

greetings
fiesta
Attachments
glass from lcd print
glass from lcd print
lcd glass from display 2-16.JPG (290.2 KiB) Viewed 382 times
display print after the glass is disassembled
display print after the glass is disassembled
display print after glass disassembly.JPG (83.84 KiB) Viewed 382 times

zener

Post by zener »

I think you are barking up the wrong tree on the zebra connector. If that is bad you will lose some pixels, not the whole display. There is some other issue. It is impossible to say without having it in front of me. You might search and see if others had the same problem with that product, or contact the mfg. If someone brought it to me I would be looking at the pins on the display, power, ground, clock, Vo, to see if was getting what it needs to run (using a scope). You need to find someone local who can help you. Some random things you can try is twisting/tapping on the PCB to try to find a bad connection somewhere.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”