PWM Module out put voltage

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
boerhe1

PWM Module out put voltage

Post by boerhe1 »

Hi,

I did a succesfull smal project with the Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Driver - I2C interface - PCA9685 (product 815).
Driving two PWM Led drivers, by converting the 3.3V out put of this module to 10 V and hooking it up to a meanwell ELN-30-24P Constant Current Led Driver.

I'm redoing this project as I want a few extra features and i.s.o. ordering the Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Driver - I2C interface - PCA9685 I ordered the Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Shield - I2C interface (Product 1411)

It has the same PCA9685 chip so was not expecting much issues but i did not get it to work.
Finally after borrowing a osciloscope I found out that the 1411 outputs pulses of only 1V, while the 815 outputs 3.3v

Either I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what, because the Adafruit libraries i use have no way of setting the output levelonly frequency or ratio of the pulse other option is that the module is not functioning as it should.

Any advise for me to troubleshoot further?

thanks,

Henk Jan

adafruit_support_bill

Re: PWM Module out put voltage

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The output signals level is jumper-configurable from 3.3 to 5v. The default is 5v.
What Arduino are you using to drive it? Please post photos of the front and back of the shield.

boerhe1

Post by boerhe1 »

Hi,
I use a raspberry pi (model b)
And to power the PWM module the 5v, ground, SDA and SCL are connected, nothing more,

Attached pictures of the PWM module.

HJ

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

To use with the Pi, you need to set the jumper for the 3.3v logic level. Using the default 5v level risks damage to the Pi.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”