Li-Ion Charging module

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Scottie_Digital

Li-Ion Charging module

Post by Scottie_Digital »

For the Lithium Ion Charging modules what is the BEST way to mount and heat-sink?

I have learned that they do get warm! Through testing for a quick plug and play temp setup, Hot Glued it to a battery. DO NOT DO THIS! It got warm enough that it turned the hot glue back warm and soft again! and then started to melt the battery! So in the process I fried the module and the battery! Luckily the 5V booster was not damaged in the process.

So I am kind of confused now to finish my project for this type. I have found going through my hardware scrap that I do have some thermal tape that are like post its lightly sticky not soo sticky I think I found them on some IC's from some board? . I threw them on the new ones NOW. But yeah I am open for suggestions because I also want to figure out how to mount the module properly for distribution of heat for charging. BTW this is the ONLY thing that gets HOT nothing else.

Yes I plan on using these types for all my electronics projects. I guess this would apply to any charging module type. It basically gets warm underneath the chip on the bottom of board not soo much on top of the chip. They don't come with heat-sink or extra holes for mounting. So I'd like to know what are other people doing for their modules?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Li-Ion Charging module

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Which charging module are you referring to? Most of these boards are designed to dissipate heat via the copper on the board under the chip. That is why the bottom gets warm. Any additional heat-sinking or ventilation to conduct heat away from the back of the board would be beneficial.

Scottie_Digital

I have both the micro and mini version.

adafruit_support_bill

That doesn't look like one of our boards. But most of the reference designs for this type of chip dissipate power through the copper on the board.

davidhaile

Post by davidhaile »

Where can I find the Bill of Materials for the charging module? In particular, I'm looking for the part number of the 2-conductor surface-mount battery connector on the pcb. I want to add it to all of my own projects.

adafruit_support_bill

Is this the one you are looking for? There is a link to the data sheet under the product description: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1769

davidhaile

Post by davidhaile »

That's it! Please tell me how to do this research on my own? I'll order a few from Adafruit the find them at Digikey.

adafruit_support_bill

Many of our parts are in Partfinder: http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/03/30 ... artfinder/
And almost all of our board files can be found on Github: https://github.com/adafruit
You can export the parts lists from Eagle.

Scottie_Digital

Yeah I'm sorry it's not an adafruit board but that's why I posted this in general project help. I was just trying to get suggestions about this. Yes I most likely would NOT have these problems if I had an Adafruit board :-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”