Splicing multiple (10+) wires together

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pvonelling

Splicing multiple (10+) wires together

Post by pvonelling »

Newbie question. I have a project where I'm wiring together 12 LEDs for a costume. That seems like a lot of wires to splice and solder to the 6V battery pack.

Is there a tutorial on how to do that, or is there another method like breaking them up into groups of 4 or some sort of connector like a wire harness that I should use?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Splicing multiple (10+) wires together

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are things like solderless splices, terminal blocks and power distribution bus bars. But these can be kind of bulky for a costume Depending on how your leds are distributed, you might consider branching off in groups of 2 or 3 to avoid having one massive bulky splice.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

In the past I've bought copper tube from the hobby store big enough to take the wires and soldered them in with one wire coming out the other end and adding heat shrink over the splice.

pvonelling

Post by pvonelling »

Thanks for your ideas. Off to solder it all together tonight. Will let you know how it goes.

pvonelling

Post by pvonelling »

Hey, put it all together last night, and even though I was hooking up and soldering until 2AM, it went great! LEDs are glowing and it all came together.

I had 12 LEDs so just made 4 groups of three and then hooked up each group to the battery holder and switch. Worked like a charm.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Much, much appreciated!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”