Hella Untztrument - What else is possible?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
and303

Hella Untztrument - What else is possible?

Post by and303 »

I finally got around to soldering away and getting my Hella Untz up and running, and my primary goal is for the device to be a carrot dangling in front of me to help inspire me to learn coding more proficiently. But alas, I am completely lost. So, I have a few questions:

- Are there any other "sketches" available other than the "Hello World" and basic sequencer?

- Would it be possible to use a MIDI shield to control outboard synths?

- Would it be possible to have in/out communication. For example, the Untz sequencer would begin when it received the sync signal from a DAW or other MIDI sequencer.

- And finally, my first goal is to emulate one of my favorite Tenori-On patches. The "bounce mode": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrDRc8dN5ao
Any ideas how this would work? And would the sketch size be a limitation to functionality like this?

Thanks in advance for dealing with my n00bness. As someone who has owned a Monome, Launchpad, Tenori-On, Lemur, etc, the UNTZ is really the best out of all of them conceptually!

pburgess

Re: Hella Untztrument - What else is possible?

Post by pburgess »

Are there any other "sketches" available other than the "Hello World" and basic sequencer?
Not much yet. Collin's written an arpeggiator variant of the sequencer:
https://github.com/CollinCunningham/OONTZ_Arpy
and with some keyword searches around the forums, some folks have mentioned making this work like a Monome, compatible with the host-side serial to OSC bridge (which I could never get to work, so can't vouch for how reliable this is or isn't, but if it does work would make the UNTZtrument compatible with all kinds of existing Max/MSP stuff).
Would it be possible to use a MIDI shield to control outboard synths?
In theory, yes, if the shield is Leonardo compatible and can be persuaded to fit in the enclosure. This would also require changes throughout the code to send notes via 'classic' MIDI rather than USB MIDI. Might be easier to use a USB-to-MIDI bridge and route things on the computer.
Would it be possible to have in/out communication.
Again, in theory yes, but it's something I have no experience with. It's a bit more complex than sending, as it requires use of callback functions. There's some explanation of this on the PJRC website:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_midi.html
Any ideas how [bounce mode] would work? And would the sketch size be a limitation to functionality like this?
I think that'd fit just fine in the Leonardo's space. You'd need 3 arrays (16 elements each), one each for the peak height, the current position and the direction (up or down, e.g. -1 or +1). Each frame you'd update the current positions, check if the bounds are reached (reversing direction if so), and sending notes for any that are bouncing off the bottom.

and303

Re: Hella Untztrument - What else is possible?

Post by and303 »

Thanks for the help!

It seems like Collin's Arpy takes advantage of external clock, so that's excellent.

I'll drink a pot of coffee and take a stab at the bouncy thing. "Game Of Life" would be great to have as well.

Once there's more contributors I'd love to host a library of sketches and/or tutorials for newbs, similar to the Lemur community. Thanks again!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”