Sensor for wire tension?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
UP

Sensor for wire tension?

Post by UP »

Hi there, I'm still searching for the right sensor. While I'm very satisfied with the new motorshield V2.3 an Adafruit product could be first choice. The problem is to detect loose or too strong wire tension, wire will be routed over deflection pulley, which could vary vertical positon depending on wire tension. Are there suggestions which Adafruit product could fit?

Regards

UP

Franklin97355

Re: Sensor for wire tension?

Post by Franklin97355 »

How far does the pulley deflect?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

A diagram of the system you are describing would help. In some rolling mill applications, tension between rolling stands is measured via motor current variations. In other applications strain-gauges are used to measure radial loads on shafts.

UP

Post by UP »

Hi there, I try to measure the distance of a reflector and try to change the direction a motor spins depending on the direction a reflector moves (Motor 1). Next step would be changing the speed of a second motor (or a third too, seconds and third motors work together), that spins permanently

Problem description under "VCNL4000, Adafruit motorshield V2.3 and stepper motor" posted today

Thanks, UP

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

zener

Post by zener »

If the issue is with the code then yeah we need to see the code. A drawing of the basic setup would also probably help. At its simplest, you don't need to know the position of the stepper or the rotations, just "go one way", "go the other way" or "stop". However, there may be something about your setup I don't understand.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”