Creating a heater using Adafuit components

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rhicksmtb

Creating a heater using Adafuit components

Post by rhicksmtb »

First off your site is so cool! I am not at all that knowledgable with elctronics but your site drives me to want to learn.

I purchased the following things below to create a "mini heater" that will keep my supercharger on my vehicle above freezing. the resevoir only contains 4 ozs of oil so the area to heat is very small. I recieved these components after getting advice on the forums and when I got them I immediately was stricken with feeling overwhelmed because things are small and detailed. So instead ruining my project going at it like a newby could you provide me some detailed instruction on how to build this system. I have no problem paying for one on one if that is possible - it is not about the money for me but rather learning and doing myself.
Could you please provide me some options? many thanks for your consideration!

Robert in Michigan

1 x High Temp Waterproof DS18B20 Digital temperature sensor + extras[ID:642] = $14.95
1 x N-channel power MOSFET (30V / 60A) [ID:355] = $1.75
1 x Adafruit Pro Trinket - 5V 16MHz[ID:2000] = $9.95
2 x Electric Heating Pad - 10cm x 5cm[ID:1481] = $7.90

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Creating a heater using Adafuit components

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You can also try posting on our Jobs board:
https://www.adafruit.com/jobs

zener

Post by zener »

Yes a project can involve a lot of details. Although I have programmed Arduino's and other embedded controls if I was doing something like this I would probably just use a "dumb" temperature switch such as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Normal-Close-NC ... 2ed7456bff. That is because I am busy and I would just want to get the job done fast. However it is perfectly fine to do it "fancier" and have a digital control, then you can add a display if you want, etc. And you will learn how to program Arduino's also.

So, the first step is to draw out your schematic. You can use a cad program or you can just use a pencil. You need to show the different connections, pin numbers use on the Trinket etc. Part of this will depend on the software, since it might need things connected to particular pins.

Once you get that done then it leads to the particulars of how you mount the different parts in the car and where you run the wires etc. If you want it adjustable and don't want to figure it out yourself then you can get this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC12V-Heat-cool ... 51c605c110

rhicksmtb

Post by rhicksmtb »

Thanks for responding and I reallly like the schematic idea, draw it up first then determine the location of how you want to lay it out. The Amdmin suggested I go to the Job board and post it, which I will do but I want to learn how to do this as well so I am not sure how it will play out. I guess what I dont understand is what wires go where on the protrinket. The High temp sensor came with a resister, where does that go and where do I connect the heat pads on the board, stiuff like that. If you can help me that would be great.

Thank you very much!

rob

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Connections for the sensor are as follows:

White -> Pin 2 (Signal)
Red -> Pin 3 (5v)
Black -> Pin 4 (Ground)

Connect the pull-up resistor between the signal pin (pin 2) and 5v;

rhicksmtb

Post by rhicksmtb »

You lost me a little. the 5v protrinket (ID ) does not have a pin 2, there is an "A1 - A7. What you gave me below is great, and I do appreciate your patience but is it possible we are looking at two different boards?

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

That is just the pin used in the example code. You can use any available digital pin. You just need to modify the code to specify which one.

rhicksmtb

Post by rhicksmtb »

Ok - good to know. So this is what I have come up with:
Bat teminal is my power - this will go to my battery

Red wire (thermo coupler) goes to terminal 5
terminal 4 = White wire (signal)
Run the supplied resister between them ( 4 and 5)
Blk wire to GND - next to A5 terminal

How about heaters? Red to power that reads 5V and black to gnd?

What about the Mosfet N channel?

Thanks

zener

Post by zener »

For the heater you can use the circuit shown here in the second post:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63317&p=322150#p322150

You don't need the flyback diode since your heater is a resistive load, not inductive.

zener

Post by zener »

For the record, the DS18B20 is not a thermocouple. It is a digital temperature sensor.

rhicksmtb

Post by rhicksmtb »

Thank for the clarification. The role of the sensor is to regulate the temperature that has ben preset through the protrinket correct?

rhicksmtb

Post by rhicksmtb »

One more thing - the N channel MOFSET is still something I struggle with, just dont see its function for what I am trying to do and how and where it goes on the protrinket board. I searched the forum and read the details on it and it just didnt make sense.

rhicksmtb

Post by rhicksmtb »

By the way for all of you people who are knowledgable with electronics, RIPP superchanger sells an after market stage 1 and stage 2 kit for all makes and models of vehicles and they are not cheap ($4,000.00 - $7500.00) and one thing they fail to clearly point out is the units are temperature sensitive. There is a very small diclaimer on thier site if you dig deep that states do not use in temperatures below 32 degrees F. I burned my unit up last spring and it cost me 850.00 to repair it and RIPP wanted nothing to do with honoring the repair so my point is someone could build these little heating units failrly cheap and make alot of money selling them as an aftermarket item to people running the superchargers. Maybe this is not the place to discuss this but I just thought I would get this out there for those of you hobbiest looking to expand your market.

Regards,

adafruit_support_bill

The sensor doesn't regulate anything. It provides temperature feedback to the processor which then uses the N-channel MOSFET to regulate power to the heater. You need the MOSFET because the processor GPIO pins can't handle the current levels needed to drive the heater.

rhicksmtb

Post by rhicksmtb »

This is very helpful and thank you. So where on the board does this get placed?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”