Project Input for remote trigger

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ibucky

Project Input for remote trigger

Post by ibucky »

I'm looking for some project input.

I'm want to make a remote lamp control for a room. Need someway to trigger the light on the other side of a room when you walk in. Than need to trigger it on/off from another side of the room. It's for a kids room so I'm ruling out IR remotes - they'll just loss the remote. Didn't want to tear up the floor, so wasn't thinking of a wire across the room for light beam trigger at the door. Really was thinking if I can create a fun human trigger like some taps on the floor.

The lamp is going to be plugged into a Powerswitch tail 2 connected to a Trinket and something for triggering.

It's the trigger that I'm looking for input. Any ideas out there how to trigger. Currently I'm thinking of a Motion sensor on the floor that looks for say a step pattern (three taps). I'm not sure the motion sensor would pickup the taps. I've had someone suggest a speaker upside down to capture the taps. The room does have a wood floor.

Any other ideas or thoughts? The more fun the trigger the more successful the project would be. Thank you

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Project Input for remote trigger

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Have a look at this project: It might take a bit of calibration to adjust the sensitivity for the floor instead of the box, but same sensor and knock-pattern detection should be applicable.
https://learn.adafruit.com/secret-knock ... k/overview

ibucky

Post by ibucky »

I've made that project before, but didn't think the piezo would pickup the floor board. Guess I'll have to test. Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

If the piezo won't pick it up, you could try one of the microphone/amp breakout boards.

ibucky

Post by ibucky »

"microphone/amp breakout boards" now that sounds real promising. Wonder if this project one would be able to create 'voice commands' not real voice recognition, but a series of single syllable words or sounds could create a peak sound patterns like a knocking creates a peak sound that Steve's project could record and trigger from. If I'm off base let me know.

zener

Post by zener »

Have you considered PIR? It seems you just want presence detection.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/189

adafruit_support_bill

The Arduino doesn't have the horsepower for extensive signal processing, but it is capable of basic frequency analysis. Search the tutorials for "FFT".

ibucky

Post by ibucky »

Zener - Thank you for the suggestion. I am looking for a command trigger, but a presence trigger might work as a backup.

zener

Post by zener »

Not sure if you could use this:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1766

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”