Capacitor question

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kurtwm2010

Re: Capacitor question

Post by kurtwm2010 »

Thanks. The code works fine. I made changes to the pin assignments because I changed to an Adafruit Uno. Pins 12 and 13 are for the relay and pin 2 for the LDR.

I have one more question please.
What does it really mean when the code executes function "if (digitalRead(LDR) == HIGH)"? What is "High", any voltage above zero? The reason I ask is because it seems I have to provide at least 8VDC to pin 2 before a change is recognized. Do I have to perform some type of calibration?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

8v is enough to damage an Arduino pin.

Could you post a photo of the circuit you're using now please?

kurtwm2010

Post by kurtwm2010 »

Thanks for helping. I was able to get the voltage down to 4.8V. So I am good. Coming along fine, testing pieces of the circuit and smiling each time something works. Couldn't have done it without the help of this forum (and a couple of trinkets I burned up). Everything works and I am about to make a final layout on a breadbord and then start soldering. Instead of testing with 110VAC is did it with 12VDC parts to make sure my connections are correct. I figured it was safer. I included a schematic. I know it's not perfect and the relays are not properly depicted because I couldn't find a sample symbol for the right relay. I am sure there are other beginners mistakes and I am open to suggestions.

oops...correction. since I changed back to a Trinket the pin assignments are 0= for the LDR and 2,3 for the relays
Attachments
ScreenHunter_09 Jan. 28 22.04.gif
ScreenHunter_09 Jan. 28 22.04.gif (32.73 KiB) Viewed 130 times

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Schematics exist to help people understand how the pieces in a circuit are connected. If you have a diagram that does the job successfully, it's a good schematic.

I sketch some of the most goshawful messes you can imagine while working out ideas. Only when I'm done learning from those can I sit down and start drawing for pretty.. and that usually takes half a dozen tries.

I'm glad to hear you have the system working. Post some photos when you have it to a point where you're ready to show off. ;-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”