Help with basics for NeoPixel project

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
simonthorpe

Help with basics for NeoPixel project

Post by simonthorpe »

Heya everyone

I want to make my first foray into the world of wearables. I've done a bit of basic research, but I am a little unsure on what platform I should start with. This is what I want to do.

1. Grid of 9x15 (135) NeoPixels (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1260)
2. Remote rocker switch ON (OFF) ON that would communicate somehow with main controller. I was thinking a simple RF signal.
3. Accelerometer
4. Lipo battery
5. Controller to tie it all together.

So far my research and self education I am figuring out how to wire up the grid into my jacket. I think I can figure out how to have the hand held rocker switch wirelessly signal state (ON left,ON right) to the controller. But what i'm not finding easy to decide on, is the type of controller.

Flora looks like the logical choice, But the Gemma, being smaller and cheaper, seems ideal. But I can't seem to find out if there is enough memory for me to write a program that will power the 135 pixels. My program will use inputs from the rocker switch and accelerometer to display images and scrolling text in the grid. (see attached image for example of font to be used).

But then I also found the Teensy 3.1 which is priced the same as Flora, but seems to be higher spec. I can't seem to find the full spec on Flora (memory, CPU etc).

I've no preference on language to write my program, so that isn't really going to influence my decision.

Can anyone give me some tips on what would be a good solid choice to start with? My gut says Flora, but i'd like a little validation before I commit.
Attachments
hello.png
hello.png (2.05 KiB) Viewed 238 times

Franklin97355

Re: Help with basics for NeoPixel project

Post by Franklin97355 »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”