BBB with multiple remote isolated identical displays

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cfarmer

BBB with multiple remote isolated identical displays

Post by cfarmer »

Hello,
I am using a BBB to create a weighted-power-metering program for a solar-powered microgrid - where one solar power system distributes power to numerous off-grid cabins. Power usage for each cabin will be "weighted" based upon the battery's State of Charge (SOC%) - encouraging use during sunny weather, and discouraging use during cloudy.
I therefore want to display a four digit 7 segment display in each cabin - the first digit to notify whether the generator has run in the last 12 hours (and during which power will be weighted heavily), and the last three simply to display the battery's present SOC%.
So I want numerous Adafruit displays with I2C backpacks. All displays will read exactly the same information sent from the BBB.
And here is where the trick(s) comes in:
1) Some cabins will be up to 300 ft away from the BBB.
2) The neighborhood has requested that wireless signals not be used.
3) This is in a high lightning prone area - so I want to isolate all of the wires going into the trenches to each cabin - so that no surges return to fry the BBB.

I am about to give up on figuring this out, and simply say to the neighborhood that they must use a wireless transmitter and wireless displays.
Does anybody have any ideas on how this could be achieved without wireless?
Is there an I2C signal extender/ isolator that can have multiple parallel branches of wires downstream?
Will LC issues in the transmission lines be too problematic to overcome?

Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Re: BBB with multiple remote isolated identical displays

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Please keep requests in a single thread. Having two conversations going in different places gets confusing.

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=70507

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”