defective 1/8" plug

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
silent122bob

defective 1/8" plug

Post by silent122bob »

I was unplugging one of the 1/8" stereo audio plugs I got from your store from my phone and the end tip got stuck in. I wasn't even being rough with it, I've yanked out other headphones with no trouble. so what I'm asking are there any suggestions you can give me on getting it out? If I don't have any success getting it out are you guys willing to help me? Thanks for any help you can give.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: defective 1/8" plug

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Could you post a photo of what you have now please?

silent122bob

Post by silent122bob »

The little plastic insulator is not stuck, only the tip. It's part 1800 in case you needed to know
Attachments
1427398755918897795670.jpg
1427398755918897795670.jpg (723.5 KiB) Viewed 330 times

silent122bob

Post by silent122bob »

Attachments
okay-guy.jpg
okay-guy.jpg (25.18 KiB) Viewed 314 times

adafruit_support_mike

Yikes.. that plug is definitely broken. Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you a replacement.

Did the suggestions from the video help you get the remaining piece out?

silent122bob

Post by silent122bob »

I have to wait till stores re open in the morning to buy some glue. from what i've read from other people who have the kind of phone i do it's pretty hard since the jack is designed to hold the plug more securely than your usual jacks(like the square PCB mount types) thank you for the information on who to contact. a side note, your mobile site has some clipping issues where the text runs off the screen, but since it's a mobile site you can't scroll to the right to read it, also the contact page wouldn't allow me to input my name and email to make contact(maybe this is a galaxy s5 only issue but i doubt it, that part of the site did work correctly on my laptop though)

adafruit_support_mike

Try using just a toothpick (the round, pointed type). You should be able to jam the point into the opening of the broken piece and wedge it well enough to get a decent pull.

silent122bob

Post by silent122bob »

there isn't enough compression force to make it drag it backwards. i will try the glue trick tomorrow, it's not like it will damage the phone, just make it permanent(if i goof and get glue on the side but i'm pretty steady handed usually)

the support team didn't seem very helpful, i wrote out a bit of a long email and all i got back was a canned reply. you wouldn't know if the replacement code they give out is only for the part i got, or can i use it for something else of equal value?

adafruit_support_mike

Kinda depends on whether a replacement has already shipped.

If a new plug isn't already on the way we can do store credit. I'll check with the support team and we'll find something that works.

Mikewalden100

Post by Mikewalden100 »

I have a question about a product I'd like to purchase. Product #1800. Does this plug come apart like in one of the photos?

adafruit_support_mike

This thread is the only case where we've ever seen it happen.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”