Wireless Printer Setup for Raspberry Pi 2B ?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CaptainSunset

Wireless Printer Setup for Raspberry Pi 2B ?

Post by CaptainSunset »

I have a cheap HP Envy 4501 wireless inkjet that has Scan, Copy, & Print functions.

Installing CUPS seemed to be the way to start accessing it from my Pi 2B, but then I
found this at HP:

HP Linux imaging and printing Print, scan and fax drivers for Linux

How to Configure Printers for WiFi Connection HPLIP Version: All

Printers can be configured for wireless connection by any one of the following 3 methods.

Method I - Using hp-wificonfig/hp-setup utilities

1. Run ‘hp-setup’ on the terminal
2. Select the third option “ Wireless/802.11
(requires temporary USB connection and is only available for select devices)”
3. Follow Wireless Wizard to get the IP address
4. Run ‘hp-setup <IP address>’

Method II - Using Front Panel on the printer, if present

1. Press wireless button on the display
2. Select the “Wireless Menu” ->Wireless Setup Wizard”
3. Choose the router to connect the printer
4. Wait for the printer to display IP address
5. Run ‘hp-setup <IP address>’

Method III - If hp-wificonfig/hp-setup fails and printer do not have panel

1. Download Windows driver for the particular model
2. Install the windows driver on your windows machine and get the IP address.
3. Run ‘hp-setup <IP address>’ on Linux machine

http://hplipopensource.com/node/365

They made no mention of needing CUPS, and I'm kinda confused as to how best to proceed.

Any advice welcome!

ps If anyone has a great Pi printer to recommend, now is the time before I get invested in this HP. Inkjet or laser...

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Wireless Printer Setup for Raspberry Pi 2B ?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That would be the printer setup. You'd still need CUPS to make the RasPi talk to the printer.

rbitzer

Post by rbitzer »

Installing an HP printer on the Raspberry Pi GUI-Windows
. . . . . . . . . . . my contribution to the future Raspberry Pi user manual.
As a recent subscriber to the Raspberry Pi community I anticipated a good hour or so to install my HP printer on my new Pi-3. I did it in 14 hours ….makes you appreciate ‘plug-in-play”.
I was rather disappointed in the information from Pi forum not so much as a step-by-step but a general knowledge to what I needed to know. I’ve tried so many things and variations of commands, downloads, having the wrong permissions, and things that ran differently for me. I’m posting what I believe to be true at this moment time, but keep in mind it might not be or it will be different in your situation.
I’m totally open to criticism and corrections (in a nice way).

First thing I found out that as a Pi owner, user, or slave you do not have access to admin….meaning you do not have permission to do anything within Linux(OS) itself. But print drivers lie within the OS so this in itself is perplexing.

CUPS is an organization that is a repository for the holy grail of all print drivers known to mankind as well as the universe. You can visit the holy grail at www.cups.org you can also sign up to be a member but I don’t thing that is necessary.

NOW……for HP printers there is a program called ‘hplip’ which in time will reside on the desktop and does a good job of managing your printers.

First use the web browser to go to hplipopensource.com and download hplip. There will be a lot of questions that you will need to answer ie ‘type of printer models like destjet, laserjet and etc. One of the questions is what repository would you would like to get your hplip from. This is beyond me but from a youtube video I was informed to use Ubuntlp so I used it and it seemed to be OK.

When the download is complete (watch the download box in the lower part of the screen…on my system) you can close out the browser …you are done with it.

Now go to terminal mode from the GUI window.
It should look like this >>> pi@raspberry $
Next-- change directories to the directory that the hplip was downloaded to,
use the change directory command cd should go like this prefaces this with the ‘subo’ command
sudo is like super dude user which allows you to install into the root directory which print drivers should be installed (not sure this is entirely correct and if it now some one will correct me.)

cd /home/pi/Download (check to make sure your Download is spelled with a capital D)
sudo sh hplip-3.16.3.run (this takes a life time to run with a pi-2 and only ½ a life time with pi-3)

I think it ask you to do a recommended install and all the questions have an * by them.
We are all most done…….
Go to the GUI-windows and click menu>accessories>HP Device Driver
Click on add printer….make sure you printer is on and connected via the USB port and turned on.
With any luck you should get this operational before the release of the pi-4.

CaptainSunset

Post by CaptainSunset »

rbitzer wrote: . . . . . . . . . . . my contribution to the future Raspberry Pi user manual.
Sorry I didn't see your response earlier; you put in a big effort!

If it is any consolation, it used to be just as bad or worse, getting linux wifi up&running; ndiswrapper was a swear word to some. And it was incredible when the almost-too-easy LIVEdiscs came along.

As far as the 'available information' I surely agree, the way it is handled is holding back the whole community... why, it is like playing Minecraft trying to get something done that first time..:] And don't call me Shirley!
Personally, the Pi now has so many variations it is the herd of cats linux ecosystem in miniature. I was rudely told on the foundation forum that 'it is impossible to run android on the Pi' (which wasn't even my question, I was interested in monitoring a headless Pi from a cheap RCA android tablet) while on Youtube there are vid step by steps for installing android on the Pi, but only the 2B, not the 3... which you only find out in deep in the comments.

SO again, thanks for the helpful reply and keep the faith, bro!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”