Iron Man Arc Reactor

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Marco777

Iron Man Arc Reactor

Post by Marco777 »

Hello,
Planning to make an arc reactor with a lithium polymer battery, sm leds, and pepakura made arc reactor housing. As far as electronics, how could I set this up? because I figured out the battery part but I am not too sure about how to set up the surface mount leds. I want it very bright but compact with a recharge port on the outside to charge. Any ideas on how to set up the leds?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Iron Man Arc Reactor

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

[Moved from 'Announcements' to 'General Project Help']
It would help if you could provide more detail.
What kind of SMT leds are you planning to use? Monochrome? RGB? Analog? Digital

There are lots of Arc Reactor tutorials out there. You might want to start with one of those:
https://learn.adafruit.com/superhero-po ... it-diagram

Marco777

Post by Marco777 »

Ok well I don't really know anything about the different types of LEDS and how to power them. Where can I learn? As you can tell I have never used a forum before but I would like to learn some new things. Also what would you recommend me use if I just want the arc reactor to turn on and off with a rechargeable battery ? It seems I don't need a flora or one of those programmable devices.

adafruit_support_bill

We have dozens of tutorials on various types of LEDs and how to use them in our Learning System.
https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=leds

If you are not looking for digital control, then this tutorial is a good place to start.
https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-leds

adafruit_support_bill

Marco777

Post by Marco777 »

Awsome. Just learned alot. Based on the info I am thinking of using SMT cool white 5050 LEDs and using 10 ohm resistors on each led to maintain full brightness. I will use a Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 1200mAh to power the leds connected to a recharge port that will lead the power to the LEDs. Do you think this will work?

adafruit_support_bill

Sounds about right. But keep in mind that a fully charged 3.7v LiPo puts out closer to 4.2v, so your resistor value is probably a little low. It is better to err a little on the high side for safety.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”