Battery to use for adafruit raspberry pi hat with stepper mo

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mef

Battery to use for adafruit raspberry pi hat with stepper mo

Post by Mef »

Hi all,

I have a raspberry pi 2 and my plan is to build a self balancing robot like I saw at different places in the net.
I'm new to the topic and the first step for me would be to get a motor running with the pi.

I found the Adafruit DC & Stepper Motor HAT for Raspberry Pi - Mini Kit and I want to use it with a stepper motor (I prefer to use a stepper over a DC motor).
Therefore I found the Stepper motor - NEMA-17 size - 200 steps/rev, 12V 350mA.
HAT: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2348
Stepper: https://www.adafruit.com/product/324

What I don't know is, what be the right battery solution as power supply. Is a battery holder for 6x AA batteries enough, or what would be the right choice (and how do I know it's the right one).
I know it's a newbie question, but I couldn't find something matching in the forum. Please also tell me if the choice of the stepper motor or the raspi hat is not a good idea ;)

Thanks in advance.
Matthias

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Battery to use for adafruit raspberry pi hat with steppe

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That motor is designed for 12v. It will run on less, but with reduced torque. For an inverted pendulum, you probably will want as much torque as you can get. I'd recommend an 8xAA battery holder which will give you 12v using alkaline cells.

You can also find 12v NiMH packs. These generally perform better than alkaline cells in high-drain applications like motors.

Mef

Re: Battery to use for adafruit raspberry pi hat with steppe

Post by Mef »

In the first run I will try with 8x AA battery.
Thanks for the fast reply!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”