How many LED Matrices can a DEO-Nano Drive?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Circuit_Surgeon_NC

How many LED Matrices can a DEO-Nano Drive?

Post by Circuit_Surgeon_NC »

I've done addressable RGB LED projects in the past using various microcontrollers. Currently I'm working on a project to create a large (3'x3' or 6'x6') LED wall. It seems like for the amount of LEDs required using an FPGA to control multiple matrices may be the best option.

I'd either want to run 50 16x32 LED matrices, or 25 32x32 ones. I'd like a reasonable color depth (32 colors or more) and a refresh rate of at least 5Hz. Does anyone know if the DEO-Nano could handle this load?

I've also considered driving SPI LED strips using a raspberry Pi or a more powerful system. I've been able to drive 600 spi LEDs from a raspberry pi with full color and good refresh rate, does anyone know an upper limit here? How many SPI LEDs could reasonably be run in series from a raspi?

Nevermind issues of power delivery, I'm just interested in data transfer capabilities.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: How many LED Matrices can a DEO-Nano Drive?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The 32x32 LED matrices need 13 control pins, but 7 of those are control pins that can be shared across all the displays. You only need 6 unique pins per matrix.

The DEO-Nano breakout has 80 GPIO pins, so it should be able to drive up to 12 matrices in parallel. The matrices are chainable, and runnning that many, you'd only need to chain them about 2 deep. The FPGA has a 50MHz clock, so it should be able to run at 12-bit color and video speeds.

The details will depend on your implementation, but being able to run lots of displays in parallel speeds things up significantly.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”