Why do I get this IDE error?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Barry914

Why do I get this IDE error?

Post by Barry914 »

I intermittently get the following error when I compile a sketch:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Adafruit Arduino 1.05\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-ar: unable to rename 'core.a'; reason: File exists
It may happen once in 50 compiles, or it may happen 10 times in a row and then everything's fine. It's been like this since day one, and it happens with 1.5.7 as well. It's gotten to the point where it's annoying enough to tackle. Using Win7. Any suggestions?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Why do I get this IDE error?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you can find a solution you'll probably get a medal.

It seems to be a permissions issue in Windows, but no one has ever been able to isolate it. Some people say it's related to realtime antivirus software, others say you need to run with Administrator privileges, but for every solution there's a corresponding, "nope, still getting it."

Barry914

Post by Barry914 »

Good to know it's not just me. Bad to know nobody has figured this out. It's got to be a race condition, right? Two different processes writing/reading/deleting the same file that just get out of synch? Wish I knew something about the toolchain and the build process ...

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's as good a guess as any.

With the sheer number of moving pieces involved, there's no shortage of reasonable hypotheses. Finding ways to test them is the problem.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”