Another IDE 1.6.3/CC3000 problem

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Barry914

Another IDE 1.6.3/CC3000 problem

Post by Barry914 »

I tried compiling a long-running, stable Micro/CC3000 based web client project originally compiled with IDE 1.0.5 with 1.6.3. Got much more compact code, but unfortunately it doesn't work. It's supposed to POST data but it appears to get stuck somewhere in the CC3000 Library code, and doesn't return any error or status codes. In fact, it just never returns.. I recently reported a problem with a CC3000 web server with similar issues.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Another IDE 1.6.3/CC3000 problem

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Sounds like one of the aggressive optimizations is removing code that needs to be there.

You can reduce the optimization flags for the compiler, but I think that has to be done manually in the IDE's config file.

Barry914

Post by Barry914 »

Sounds a lot like hit and miss to me. The fact that I have no idea what's in the toolchain and how it works keeps showing up in my rear view mirror. Is it trying to tell me something?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You may be running into the boundaries of 'convenience'.

There's a learning curve to invoking the compiler and building executables from the command line, so having a "push the button" wrapper around the process can be handy. Thing is, you're stuck with a system that may or may not be set up to do what you want.

The volume of stuff to learn is on the same order of scale as the libraries and datasheets for a sensor though, so it shouldn't intimidate an Arduino programmer.

The best source of AVR-specific documentation I know about is the avr-libc reference itself:
http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/pages.html

To get a feel for how the various tools are used, set your Arduino IDE to produce verbose output during compilation and pick your way through that line by line. There are only about five actual commands, they just get repeated for the various source files that have to be knitted together to make an executable.

Quick hints: '-D...' on the gcc command line has exactly the same effect as '#define' in a source file. '-I' Includes a directory into the list of places the compiler will search for a source file or library.

Barry914

Post by Barry914 »

Absolutely correct about the "convenience factor". In a past life I was a developer, but we used mastodon teeth as shift registers and logic gates made from discarded 12AX7s. A compiler was the guy in the stockroom who made lists. It takes a bit of a push or maybe complete frustration to make me delve into stuff sometimes.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”