Pocket PiGrrl: Up and Right buttons turn off screen

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
scottydawg

Re: Pocket PiGrrl: Up and Right buttons turn off screen

Post by scottydawg »

Watched the video as well. Seems I am having the same audio issue as well. Doesn't seem to happen until the RetroPie starts booting. Anyone figure anything out with this?

haimiko

Post by haimiko »

Same audio noise issue. It might be because our audio driver is directly connected to the power boost. Would probably be good to connect a filter between the powerboost and the audio driver.

haimiko

Post by haimiko »

My Pocket PiGrrl is still plagued with electronic background noise which increases in intensity when the screen is at it's brightest (i.e. white background). It almost goes away when it dims in screen saver mode. Anyone have any success getting clean audio from the PiGrrl? If so what did you do different?

armybean

Post by armybean »

I have this sound problem, too. And when I play the demos which are included in the image, I get no "normal" sound or is there no sound at all?

haimiko

Post by haimiko »

I get sound with the doom3 demo along with the electronic background noise.

LKM

Post by LKM »

armybean wrote:Did you manage this problem (display off)? I am facing the same now. In the guide (https://learn.adafruit.com/pocket-pigrrl/2-dot-4-pitft) they write to cut the trace for the GPIO 18 Lite, since GPIO 18 is used to turn backlight on and off and also used for the "up" button. But I don't know how to cut this. Do I really have to use a knife and cut/scratch on the PCB? Can somebody post a picture how it has to look?
That was exactly my problem, thanks for pointing it out! I did cut it when I built the system, but apparently not well enough. Going back and re-cutting it with a carpet knife fixed the problem. Thanks again!

LKM

Post by LKM »

I've now made another one from scratch, and oddly, it has the exact same sound problem as my first one; games don't make any sound, but any screen updates produce audible buzzing. I don't know if I've accidentally skipped the same step for both Pocket PiGrrls, or if I made the same soldering error on both, or how else I have managed to produce the exact same issue twice in a row...
Attachments
pigrrls.jpg
pigrrls.jpg (220.98 KiB) Viewed 244 times

haimiko

Post by haimiko »

Have you tried increasing the input gain on the sound card (rheostat located on the card)?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”