20 gauge mini usb b connector

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
serebin

20 gauge mini usb b connector

Post by serebin »

OK, I wish to wire up some 20 AWG stranded wire to some of the "USB DIY Connector Shell - Type Mini-B Plug PID: 1389" connectors to create a 15 foot long 5 wire extension. I have some Hirose mini usb b male connectors, and they are good but are not big enough really to house five 20AWG wires. Are these connectors you sell adequate to cram five 20AWG wire in them?

Or I could find some kind of 5 wire mini usb b extension cable that I could plug in to your usb b breakout board.

These are the little details that hold up big projects! Hehe, your help is much appreciated. I just need to be able to have five 20AWG wires connected to these mini usb b connectors!

Thank you!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 20 gauge mini usb b connector

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The USB shells we have probably aren't big enough to handle a cable that size.

It would probably be easier to splice a few inches of smaller cable into the connector (or cut an existing cable) and splice that into the 20-gauge. A 1' length of 32-gauge has about the same resistance as a 16' length of 20-gauge (about 0.16 ohms).

serebin

Post by serebin »

Thank you so much for putting into words what I thought was correct in my heart. Woohoo! Now I have connected my brain and my heart... at least in relation to resistance of wires.

adafruit_support_mike

Yep, resistance is a property of cross-sectional area and length.. basically how wide a path the electrons have, and how far they have to go. Doubling the width of the path cuts the resistance in half. Doubling the length of the path doubles the resistance.

Wire diameter doubles every 6 AWG numbers, so the area would be four times larger/smaller depending on which way you go. From 20 to 32 is a 12-digit step, so the diameter changes by a factor of 4 and the area by a factor of 16.

Even really fine wires can carry a lot of current if they don't have to carry it far.

serebin

Post by serebin »

Hey thanks for the added info, that really helps my understanding. Those more visual ways of thinking about it help a lot.

adafruit_support_mike

Old math trick.. if you can draw a picture of the problem you're better than half way to the solution. ;-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”