Power to a Stepper motor

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
joedes2000

Power to a Stepper motor

Post by joedes2000 »

I am trying to develop a device that will rotate one click at a time in a linear direction at a rate of 1/4" to 1/2" at a time. The best way I can explain this would be if I cast out a fishing line and the device would reel it in very slow, one click at a time. Or even better, if I strung out a clothes line and this device would inch it's way along from point A to B.

I was advised to look into stepper motors as they can be very small and this device has to be very light...250 grams if possible. I know they can run on AAA batteries but I will try to avoid that as a power source if possible. The line that the device will run along is electrified (electric fencing) and the output in that fence will vary as per model from 1 joules to as high as 30 depending on model. My model puts out 2.5 joules. Can I adapt the stepper motor to draw it's energy source from the output of the electric fence? Am I understanding the 6 wire unipolar type as being able to make this device work? I was also thinking that if the device needed a complete circuit to fire could I run a line from the device to the ground causing an earthing?

Thanks - Joe

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Power to a Stepper motor

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Sounds like two problems there. The electro-mechanical end of it sounds solvable and can probably be done with mostly standard parts. Drawing power from the fence sounds like it should be possible, but you will probably need to do a bit of engineering to come up with a workable solution.
My model puts out 2.5 joules.
You will need to know the voltage. You will need to know if it is AC or DC. You will need to know what kinds of current it is capable of supplying also.

You will need a circuit to make the current flow. If the circuit is intermittent, you will need to accommodate that as well.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”