want to make a Tron legacy disc

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JamesBryan

want to make a Tron legacy disc

Post by JamesBryan »

The topic title is ALMOST accurate as i actually intend on eventually making each of the character's disc replicas, but you get the point. i have a pretty good handle on most of what is going to be involved but i am having trouble finding the SPECIFIC info i need. i plan on using a 144 LED/meter neopixel strip along the outside edge to illuminate the blade and either a 60 LED/meter strip or two of the large neopixel rings under each of the inner "c" rings. i have NEVER worked with addressable LED components before and thats why i picked THIS project as it is a great motivator to learn it with. i saw the program used to program the neopixel ring and i love how its simplicity will make this so much easier, but i was wondering can that same program be used to program the strips? if so that speeds up my development process tremendously. also, if i were to use a 9V battery with a voltage regulator set for 5V would that be safe? i do know that in the event i elect to use the two neopixel rings, i merely have to connect them both to the same output and both rings will display identical outputs.

Franklin97355

Re: want to make a Tron legacy disc

Post by Franklin97355 »

It should work but with that many pixels you won't get but a few minutes from the 9v battery. Depending on the time you want it to run LiPo's are probably the best choice for a battery.

JamesBryan

Post by JamesBryan »

thank you, im a high function autistic using costuming and electronics projects as a learning platform for a self directed job skills training program and sometimes its hard for me to communicate well in text. i wasnt specifically intending on using 9V but it was the simplest way for me to ask about the power input limits and solutions to try if needed. basically what im looking to make is something i can carry around while at a convention as part of a costume or place on a display stand when not in use. i know i can ad a switch to choose between battery and wall power so that end is simple. im pretty sure you are familiar with the identity disc replicas out there and was wondering what specific rechargeable battery might be best for this. i was kind of thinking using a separate power supply and arduino for each light set. ultimately i want to have the inner ring light up in sequence and for the blade to utilize a "chase" or scanner effect to get the spinning blade effect as ive seen others do pretty well. it is the blade effect which has me looking at the neopixel strips. for just the basic blades i have in mind i already know i can use pretty much any led strip as it would only need to turn on and off. the addressable nature of the neop[ixels is what will allw me to give it the spinning blade effect

JamesBryan

Post by JamesBryan »

the other idea i have is to run a set of 32 individual LED in the inner ring to light up the "c" ring in sequence through a basic step program. the frustrating thing about this is i see all sorts of great disc replicas out there but nearly no good info on HOW to make them

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you want to keep the disc to scale I would go with individual pixels so you can place them where needed rather than having to work around the scale of the rings. Neopixels will run from lipo batteries and so will the Flora and Gemma/Trinket/Pro Trinket.

JamesBryan

Post by JamesBryan »

its kind of funny you mention "having to work around the size of the ring" as the 60 pixel ring just happens to be THE EXACT SIZE AND CURVE of the "c" ring which is why i chose it. im looking at using the neopixels for the "ultimate" display pieces and show off items i plan but the ones i will normally be carrying around will probably be made with the basic LED strips.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”