Looking for 6v rechargable battery

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BH

Looking for 6v rechargable battery

Post by BH »

Hi,

I have a project in which I have to power a 6V LED. I am seeking a small form battery (such as the Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 150mAh.

I would also need to find a way to charge it from USB, ideally something like this Adafruit Charger.

One solution is to use a pair of rechargable 2032, but I prefer one package (also, they are 7.2v, which requires a dc-dc converter).

Thank you,

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Looking for 6v rechargable battery

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The closest you will get to a 6v rechargeable battery is 5 NiMH cells in series. These are nominally 1.2v each. You can also find 6v SLA batteries. But I suspect both those solutions are going to be bulkier than you want.
I have to power a 6V LED
There really is no such thing as a 6v LED. Most have a Vf in the 1.2v-3.5v range. Your "6v LED" is most likely just a regular LED pre-fitted with a current limiting resistor sized for operation at 6v. If you know the Vf of the LED (this is closely related to the color) you can run it from any voltage Vf or greater with the appropriate resistor.
https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-le ... ge-and-kvl

BH

Post by BH »

I post the datasheets because of the words "There really is no such thing as a 6v LE".

Also, the LED is on it's own, it is not part of any circuit or IC, internal or external. I have verified this with the manufacturer.

Please don't say no such thing.

I agree that this is an unusual LED, hence the need for an Arduino project.
Attachments
Datasheet2.PNG
Datasheet2.PNG (12.93 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Datasheet.png
Datasheet.png (46.4 KiB) Viewed 123 times

DuaneDegn

Post by DuaneDegn »

I agree, this sounds like an unusual LED but I don't follow you when you say "I agree that this is an unusual LED, hence the need for an Arduino project." What property of the LED makes an Arduino required for its use?

An 80mA LED plus the current required by the Arduino will make small batteries like the one you linked to inappropriate as a power source. How long do you want to power the LED and Arduino between charges? How are you going to control the current to the LED?

A single cell LiPo or Li-Ion is still an option since adjustable output boost regulators are very common. I'd think to properly regulate the current to the LED you may want to boost the voltage higher than 6V.

As is often the case, the more information you provide about the project the more others will be able to suggest possible solutions.

If you don't like seeing the words "there's no such thing as a 6V LED" then I think it would be a good idea to post more information about the LED to convince us the statement isn't true. Where did you get this LED? What is it used for? What color is it? Are you sure it's not two or more LEDs in series?

DuaneDegn

Post by DuaneDegn »

I think it would have been helpful if you had included a link to your other question related to this project.

It would have saved both yourself and those trying to help the necessity of asking and answering the same questions.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”