Device 3D Models

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
joxl

Device 3D Models

Post by joxl »

Hi, I'm wondering if Adafruit (or anyone) maintains some sort of repository of 3D models of any of the components sold here?

I frequently build small projects with Adafruit breakouts and/or other components. I often end up printing project enclosures with a 3D printer. In order to make things fit nicely and to keep enclosures small and tidy, I end creating a 3D model of all my project components. As one can imagine, it is a time-consuming process using a micrometer to sketch these parts. It would be INCREDIBLY useful if there was a community repository (maybe hosted on github, etc) where Adafruit kept models of their components so that others could download and make use of them.

I personally would be happy to contribute to such an effort, so I thought I'd post here to find out what might already be available as well as see who else might be doing the same thing as myself who might want to contribute.

Do the moderators here know of any resources that might help in this effort? I know there are schematic designs (EAGLE?) for some of the components (Trinket, others?). While I've never personally dealt with PCB design myself, I'd think that 3D modelling might be easier if there is some sort of (maybe even incomplete) CAD document available.

Thank you,

-Joel

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Device 3D Models

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

We don't maintain 3D models of our components. Hole spacing is available from the Eagle files, and the product pages typically list overall dimensions

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

I haven't tried it myself, but is this useful?
https://blog.adafruit.com/2015/06/18/ad ... on-github/

Hallelujah!
Disciple

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Wow - i didn't know about that. Thanks for pointing it out!

joxl

Post by joxl »

Fantastic @Disciple! That's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind, thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”