Warranty issue with BANNED distributor Robofun

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
autovortex

Warranty issue with BANNED distributor Robofun

Post by autovortex »

Hello!
My name is Ionut Panea. I am the coach of FTC Team 5843 AutoVortex from BANNED www.facebook.com/AutovortexFTC. We work on a project for the BANNED Space Agency and we build a small size exploration rover.
We bought from www.robofun.ro (official Adafruit distributor) a raspberry pi motor hat https://www.adafruit.com/products/2348
We connected 2 tetrix v1 motors http://www.cougarrobot.com/attachments/ ... tor_V1.pdf in separate channels. These consume around 1 amp in normal use and 2.5 in peak.
We drove the robot using the raspberry pi and java programming around a couple of minutes. At our second attempt, after about 2-3 minutes of driving, the hat started to make a little bit of smoke and we stopped. Then we saw that the controllers failed.
We talked to them about exchanging or refunding the item, but they refuse to make anything, saying that shipping to US will cost them more than the part.
On the warranty card it is stated a 2 year period.
We would like our issue to be resolved in a friendly manner.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Warranty issue with BANNED distributor Robofun

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'm not familiar with Robofun's warranty policy, but ours warranty/return policy is 30 days. We would not require you to return the board for replacement. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can arrange for a replacement.

I also coach several FTC teams and have done a lot of testing on the Tetrix motors. In our last order of 6 motors, there was considerable variability. I believe that the numbers published by Cougar Robotics represent the low-end of the range.

In our tests, the no-load current ranged from 0.16A (similar to what the Cougar Robotics tests show) up to 0.48A. In normal operation on the robot there were peaks well above 4A. I do not recommend running these motors with the Pi Motor Hat.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”