SMPS Needed

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bumba000

SMPS Needed

Post by bumba000 »

Hello All,
I have built an SMPS based on MAX1523. It works but does not have the desired current, nor is it controlled by my Pro Trinket. I am in need of some design help here. My goal is as follows.
Vin: 3.7 - 4.2 (single cell 18650 battery 2500mAH 25A)
Vout: 3 - 5
maxA: 10
I will be connecting a very small heating element 2mm x 8mm these range in resistances from 0.2ohm to 1.8ohm.

I am not married to the MAX1523. Any IC with any footprint is acceptable at this point. I would however like to keep the inductor as small as possible.

Thank You, John

Franklin97355

Re: SMPS Needed

Post by Franklin97355 »

We do not provide design services but I will move this to the General Project forum and perhaps someone there can help.

zener

Post by zener »

Since you want buck AND boost, and quite a bit of current, that is not a "vanilla grade" design as my boss used to say. It is not necessarily a simple thing to do yourself. However, you can go here:

http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/analog/webench/power.page

and plug in your parameters and it should spit out a design for you.

Good luck!

bumba000

Post by bumba000 »

Oh my goodness. I just found your response and I thank you. However, I found this myself watching some youtubes by texas instruments earlier. Trouble is I don't know circuits well enough to know if it just gave me the correct answer or a line of BS. I have though for a week or so now been following along with video tutorials by a guy named Dave Jones of eevblog and chatting with folks involved there via IRC. I have just come across a DIY 0-6v lab power supply (3 vid) tut by Dave on youtube. This along side or combined with what I've built based on the max1523 seems pretty close. His DIY 0-6v supply can be driven by arduino pwm. I think I'm getting pretty close now, but have seen and heard enough that I want to dig my eyes out at this point. Sure would be nice if some really cool person would send over an schematic and parts list!

Maybe I'll have a go at that webench again on a fresh brain and some well rested eyeballs.

Thank You & Good Night, John

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”