Bluetooth DOF

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
PouNiOk

Bluetooth DOF

Post by PouNiOk »

Hello everyone,

I have a personnal project that have for goal to create a little box (the smaller the better) that'll transmit by bluetooth/xbee/other the data of a DOF (gyroscope + accelerometer).

I plan to clip it on my foot, and analyse the data when I'm riding a bike to see if I can get the speed/rpm on my smartphone without GPS or magnetic reed.

So I would like to ask you if you know what's the best programmable thing I could use to start this project : Arduino Gemma, Nano, other ?

I need to make it small, with battery, and easily programmable.

Thanks for any clue :)

Pou.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Bluetooth DOF

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The easiest platform to start with would be our BLE Micro: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2661

That has the same microcontroller as our Flora, so there's already a lot of existing code that will work with it, and it has a built-in BLE module. It will run from a LiPo, and there are Flora-friendly breakouts for things like accelerometers: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1247

One thing to consider though: A device clipped to your foot won't know whether you've changed gears. Calculating speed without that information will be a challenge.

PouNiOk

Re: Bluetooth DOF

Post by PouNiOk »

Thank you Mike, that sounds really interesting, I dind't notice that little board with everything.

I'm gonna order everything to start out some tests soon.

As the data are sent by bluetooth, I think I can manage the intelligence in my phone to select the difficulty (gears) of the bike (It'll mostly be an exercise bike).
Later I could even try to link that project to the exercise bike to send real rpm/speed/gears to the phone, but I'm not there ! :)

Pou.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”